Earthquakes Pick up Points in Supporters' Shield Standings with 2-1 WinJuly 19, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) San Jose Earthquakes
The win extended the Earthquakes' (13-4-4, 43 pts.) lead over their closest Western Conference pursuer, Real Salt Lake (11-7-3, 36 pts.). San Jose also picked up points on Sporting Kansas City (11-6-3, 36 pts.), 2-1 losers against the Houston Dynamo Wednesday night, in the Supporters' Shield standings.
San Jose posted a pair before halftime to put FC Dallas on the ropes. Chavez opened the Earthquakes' account in the 12th minute with a right-footed volley from the edge of the area, slamming Shea Salinas' cross past a diving Kevin Hartman. The goal was the Honduran's first with San Jose after joining the club in a trade with FC Dallas on Dec. 16, 2011.
Gordon tacked on the game winner in the 45th minute, heading home a perfectly placed cross from Sam Cronin. The strike was Gordon's eighth of the season, a career high, as well as his third game-winning goal.
The Earthquakes' defense held firm until the 89th minute when Hernan Pertuz dove to head in a free kick from Jackson. Collectively, San Jose provided several clutch saves on the evening, including a pair off the line from Rafael Baca and a diving one-handed effort from goalkeeper Jon Busch in the 55th minute.
San Jose is undefeated at Buck Shaw Stadium in 2012 with a 6-0-2 clip. The Earthquakes are 7-1-2 overall at home, including matches played at AT&T Park and Stanford Stadium.
San Jose's 13 wins matches the club's highest total since rejoining MLS in 2008. The Earthquakes finished 2010 with a 13-10-7 mark to earn a spot in the MLS Cup Playoffs. At 13-4-4, San Jose is off to its best 21-game start in club history.
The Earthquakes return to action on Sunday, July 22 against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place. The match kicks off at 4 p.m. PT on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, 1590 KLIV and 1370 KZSF.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 19, 2012
- AT&T MLS All-Star Coach Ben Olsen Selects San Jose Earthquakes Defender Justin Morrow - MLS
- Earthquakes D Justin Morrow Added to 2012 MLS AT&T All-Star Gameday Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers U-23s Face Fusion in PDL Western Conference Semifinals - Portland Timbers
- AT&T MLS All-Star Festivities Kick off Friday, July 20 - MLS
- Crew News & Notes: Crew Renews Rivalry with Match against D.C. United on Saturday - Columbus Crew
- adidas and Major League Soccer Announce World's First Smart Soccer League - MLS
- Earthquakes Pick up Points in Supporters' Shield Standings with 2-1 Win - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Comes Back to Knot Whitecaps FC 2-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chelsea FC Tops Sounders 4-2 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC U-18 Residency Defeat De Anza Force 4-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.