Doubledays One-Hit IronBirds in 10-0 WinJuly 14, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Auburn Doubledays
LHP Nick Lee (1-0) started for Auburn and went six innings. He allowed just two walks and the one hit, while not allowing a runner to get past first. LHP Jack McGeary and RHP Cody Davis were the other two pitchers for Auburn to throw in the game. McGeary worked one inning in his first appearance for Auburn this summer, hitting one batter and retiring the other three he faced on two strikeouts and a pop out. RHP Cody Davis worked the eighth and ninth, retiring all six batters he faced in order.
On the offensive side of the ball, the Doubledays scored at least one run in each of the first four innings, and in six of the nine innings. There were two innings when Auburn scored multiple runs. In the second CF Wander Ramos blasted a two-run homer over the left field wall and onto the roof of the visiting clubhouse. It was Ramos' third homerun of the season, giving him the team lead.
In the eighth the Doubledays sent eight batters to the plate, scoring four runs and putting the game out of reach. Ramos lead off the inning by getting hit by a pitch, and that was followed up by a triple by 2B Mike McQuillan, who finished the night 3-4 with a run and an RBI. Shortstop Josh Johnson singled to drive McQuillan home, and two batters later 1B Shawn Pleffner doubled to bring Johnson around to score. Pleffner scored the fourth run of the inning on a single by LF Estarlin Martinez.
In total Auburn belted 15 hits, a new season high. Eight of the nine starters had at least one hit, and five had multi-hit games. It was starting RHP Sebastian Vader (0-3) who got tagged with the loss for Aberdeen, lasting five innings and allowing five runs (four earned) on nine hits, walking one and striking out three. RHP Jose Nivar allowed the other five Auburn runs to score.
The Doubledays head to Norwich, CT on Saturday July 14 to begin a three game series with the Connecticut Tigers. Auburn will send RHP Taylor Jordan (0-1) to the mound for his fifth start of the year. He will square off against RHP Endrys Briceno (0-2) for Connecticut. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm. All Doubledays road games can be heard on WAUB 98.1FM and 1590AM, and online at www.fingerlakesdailynews.com by clicking on the WAUB stream under the "listen" tab.
New York-Penn League Stories from July 14, 2012
- Cutters rally, but can't close in 4-3 loss to Vermont - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Holmes Excels as Spikes Come Close, But Fall to Cyclones, 6-3 - State College Spikes
- Doubledays' Offense Subdued in 3-1 Loss to Tigers - Auburn Doubledays
- Vermont Snaps Losing Streak With 4-3 Win At Williamsport Saturday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Birds Fall Short in Loss to Muckdogs - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Strong Pitching Lifts Tigers over Doubledays - Connecticut Tigers
- State College Spikes Game Notes - July 14 vs. Brooklyn - State College Spikes
- Former Husky Pitching at Dodd this Weekend - Connecticut Tigers
- Doubledays One-Hit IronBirds in 10-0 Win - Auburn Doubledays
- Sloppy defense sweeps Cutters - Williamsport Crosscutters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.