Denny McClain to Visit Bees July 16thJuly 9, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Burlington Bees
McLain is most known for being the last Major League pitcher to win 30 games in a season when he went 31-6 in 1968 while with the Detroit Tigers. Before McLain, Dizzy Dean was the last pitcher to win 30 games in a season, accomplishing the feat in 1934 and no pitcher has done so since. He was named AL MVP and earned the AL Cy Young Award that season, receiving 100% of the 1st place votes for each award. McLain followed up his historic season with another Cy Young in 1969, when he went 24-9 with a 2.80 ERA.
Overall, McLain pitched 10 seasons in the Major Leagues with the Tigers, Washington Senators, Oakland A's and Atlanta Braves. He was a 3-time All-Star selection and led the Tigers to the 1968 World Series Championship. McLain also played one year in the Midwest League before making it to the Major Leagues. He went 4-7 in 16 games for the Clinton C-Sox in 1962.
McLain will have his book, "I told you I wasn't perfect", available for purchase at the July 16th game. All autographs and pictures will be free with a purchase of a game ticket.
Midwest League Stories from July 9, 2012
- Furious Comeback Falls Short in Extra-Inning Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Mateo Leads River Bandits to 10-7 Win in Finale with Clinton - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Granier Remarkable in Bees' Win, 3-0 - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Hopes of Sweep Turned Away, 8-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers Shutout by Bees' Granier - Beloit Snappers
- Hawks Hammer TinCaps, Sweep Series - South Bend Silver Hawks
- TinCaps Fall 10-2, Lose Fourth Straight - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Stamets walk-off double gives Kernels 4-3 win over Peoria - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Ninth Inning Rain Delay Ruins Chiefs Day - Peoria Chiefs
- Rattlers Roar Back To Top Cougars - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Lose Series to T-Rats - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Yorman Rodriguez Wins League Batter of the Week Award - Dayton Dragons
- Collier Fans 11 As Whitecaps Avoid Sweep - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Collier helps Whitecaps avoid sweep, 6-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kane County Cougars Homestand Preview: July 11-16 - Kane County Cougars
- Denny McClain to Visit Bees July 16th - Burlington Bees
- David Rollins Placed on DL - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.