IronBirds Blow Away ValleyCats, 10-5July 8, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Aberdeen IronBirds
Facing LHP Brian Holmes, 2B Jerome Pena led off Sunday night's game with a single to left field. 3B Torsten Boss stepped to the plate later in the inning with Pena on third and CF Roderick Bernadina on first. Boss singled into right and scored Pena to give the IronBirds a one-run lead. Following a Joel Hutter walk, RF Roberto Ortiz doubled down the right field line to cap off the three-run first inning.
The ValleyCats cut the deficit to 3-2 after two innings but in the top of the fourth, the IronBirds exploded for five runs. With a run already home in the inning, Jerome Pena hit a sacrifice fly to center to score LF Will Howard. After a walk to DH Creede Simpson, CF Roderick Bernadina hit a RBI single to left. SS Joel Hutter capped off the Birds' big inning with a two-run double off the wall in right field. In all, Aberdeen scored five runs on four hits in the top of the fourth.
Jerome Pena hit another sac fly in the fifth inning and Roberto Ortiz capped off the offensive onslaught with a RBI single in the top of the ninth.
On the hill, RHP David Richardson (1-0) picked up the win in his second career start. Richardson allowed four runs, two earned, on five hits over five innings. Out of the bullpen, Alex Schmarzo tossed a pair of scoreless frames and RHP Bobby Wilkins closed out the game for Aberdeen.
LHP Brian Holmes (1-1) got the loss for Tri-City.
The IronBirds and ValleyCats will play the rubber match of their three-game series on Monday night in Troy, NY. RHP Mark Blackmar (2-1, 2.95) will take the hill for the Birds while Tri-City will turn to RHP Juri Perez (0-0, 0.00). First pitch from Joseph L. Bruno Stadium is scheduled for 7 p.m. with coverage on the IronBirds Radio Network set to begin at 6:45 p.m.
New York-Penn League Stories from July 8, 2012
- Renegades Snap Doubledays Win Streak at 5 - Auburn Doubledays
- Spikes Felled by Lake Monsters' Late Offense in 8-2 Defeat - State College Spikes
- Late Offensive Explosion Gives Vermont 8-2 Win - Vermont Lake Monsters
- IronBirds Blow Away ValleyCats, 10-5 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Walk off Winner for the Scrappers - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Tigers Fall Short in Extras - Connecticut Tigers
- Pointer, Seven-run first power Cutters to 11-8 win - Williamsport Crosscutters
- State College Spikes Game Notes - July 8 at Vermont - State College Spikes
- Doubledays Do It Again, Walk-Off in 10th 8-7 over Renegades - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.