RailHawks Return to Winning in Front of Home CrowdJuly 3, 2012 - North American Soccer League (NASL) Carolina RailHawks
"Today was a wild match with the lightning delays. Fortunately our guys were able to continue to find their form after the delays dominating the match," said Head Coach Colin Clarke. "It was good to get the win, now we must regroup and start getting ready for Saturday. On behalf of the team we want to say thank you to all the fans that came out and those that waited for the game to resume."
The RailHawks found the back of the net in the fourth minute of play when Zimmerman received a pass from Jason Garey in the box and got his shot past goalkeeper Daniel Illyes. The RailHawks followed the goal with a series of dangerous attacks but it would be the Silverbacks who would find the next goal, making the game 1-1. Borfor Carr found Horth inside Carolina's box and he finished the play with a subtle touch past a diving Ray Burse.
In the 23rd minute of play, the referees stopped the match due to lightning. After 78 minutes off the pitch play resumed but only for 5 minutes before lightning again forced another delay. With the game on hold at 27:24 minutes in, play resumed at 9:28 PM. The rest of the first half was played with the RailHawks on the offensive but to capitalize.
Five minutes into the second half the RailHawks found the back of the net again. Defender Cory Elenio served a precise cross that Zimmerman was able to head into the back of the net for his 9th goal of the season. The RailHawks dominated the rest of the half and were close to scoring again when Breiner Ortiz received a cross from a free kick and Illyes was forced to change direction to stop it.
The RailHawks will return to WakeMed Soccer Park on July 7rd at 7:00 PM to face the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. The night will include a post-match fireworks show. Tickets for the match are available online . For information about upcoming matches and tickets, contact the Cruizers Box Office at 919-459-8144 or tickets@CarolinaRailHawks.com .
North American Soccer League Stories from July 3, 2012
- RailHawks Return to Winning in Front of Home Crowd - Carolina RailHawks
- Wynalda-Led Silverbacks Come up Short in Carolina - Atlanta Silverbacks
- Rowdies Host Strikers Tomorrow Night for Light up the Bay - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Islanders Face Stars in Independence Day Showdown - Puerto Rico Islanders
- Scorpions Ready for 4th of July Match with FC Edmonton - San Antonio Scorpions
- Eddies Look to Put Together Unbeaten Streak - FC Edmonton
- MN Stars FC to take on NASL contender Puerto Rico Islanders at home - Minnesota United FC
- Strikers Begin Season's Second Half against Rival Rowdies - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.