P-Nats Swept Again at CarolinaJuly 3, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Potomac Nationals
The Mudcats started the scoring in the second inning with two runs off of Nationals starter LHP Matt Grace. Tyler Cannon had an RBI single and Tyler Holt batted a run in on a groundout to give the Mudcats a 2-0 lead.
From then on, Grace settled down giving up just those two runs in six innings. He didn't factor into the decision.
Potomac climbed back into the game with a run in the fifth against Carolina hurler LHP Mike Rayl. Randolph Oduber had an RBI double to bring the P-Nats within 2-1. In the sixth, Potomac put runners at first and third with no outs. David Freitas rolled into a double play that scored another run and tied the game at 2-2.
Rayl went six strong innings giving up two runs just one earned run and did not get a decision.
Potomac took the lead in the seventh inning with a run against reliever Grant Sides. Michael Taylor led off the inning with a double and advanced to third on a sac bunt by Stephen King. Kevin Keyes drove Taylor in with a sac fly and Potomac led 3-2.
The Mudcats would strike twice against reliever Adam Carr in the bottom of the seventh to retake the lead. With one out, an error allowed Delvi Cid to reach. Holt then hit a ground rule double down the right field line to put runners at second and third with one out. Justin Toole hit an infield single to tie the game 3-3 scoring Cid. Holt scored on a single by Giovanni Urshela putting Carolina up 4-3.
A Carlos Moncrief solo homer to right in the eighth extended the lea to 5-3 for Carolina. The Nationals put a runner on in the ninth but couldn't score against Mudcats closer Jose Flores.
Sides (1-0) earned his first win in the Carolina League. Carr (0-1) took the loss giving up three runs in two innings.
Potomac has never won in Five County Stadium with Carolina spending their first year in the Carolina League. They are 0-13 in the state of North Carolina with a record of 0-6 in Zebulon and 0-7 in Winston-Salem.
Potomac returns home tomorrow July 4th facing the Frederick Keys at 6:35 PM to start a six game home stand. It'll be a battle of aces as RHP Nathan Karns (3-2, 2.57) of Potomac faces the top pitching prospect in baseball RHP Dylan Bundy (4-2, 3.14) of Frederick. The Potomac Nationals are celebrating their 35th Anniversary of professional baseball and family fun, for all your ticket needs please visit www.potomacnationals.com.
Carolina League Stories from July 3, 2012
- Keys Surge Past Wilmington 12-8 - Frederick Keys
- Keys Avoid Sweep in Ugly Finale - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Myrtle Sweeps Salem with 10-3 Rout - Salem Red Sox
- Capacity Crowd Sees 10-3 Pelicans Sweep - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Hillcats Walk off with Rubber Match Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Extra Inning Affair Ends in 'Cats Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Toole Leads 'Cats Sweep of Potomac - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Swept Again at Carolina - Potomac Nationals
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Ricky Hague Earns Carolina League Hitter of the Week - Potomac Nationals
- C Jeremy Dowdy Promoted to Winston-Salem - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.