Anaheim Ducks Sign Former Admirals Defenseman Matt Smaby to One-Year DealJuly 3, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Norfolk Admirals
Smaby, 27 (10/14/84), appeared in 30 contests with the Syracuse Crunch last season, Anaheim's then-primary development affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL). In those 30 appearances, the 6-6, 227-pound blueliner scored 2-79 points with a +12 rating and 46 penalty minutes (PIM). Smaby suffered a thumb injury during the 2011 preseason with Anaheim, which caused him to miss over three months of regular season action. Prior to his injury, Smaby appeared in three of Anaheim's eight preseason contests, recording 0-11 point with 13 PIM.
In 2010-11, Smaby appeared in 32 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning, going scoreless with a +2 rating and 17 PIM. Selected by Tampa Bay in the second round (41st overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Smaby has earned 0-66 points with 106 PIM in 122 career NHL games. He made his NHL debut with the Lightning on Oct. 4, 2007 vs. New Jersey and set career highs in points (0-44), assists and appearances (43) during his rookie season in 2008-09.
A native of Minneapolis, MN, Smaby has played five AHL seasons with Springfield (2006-07), Norfolk (2007-10) and Syracuse (2011-12), recording 7-3239 points with 194 PIM in 186 games. Smaby has appeared in 90 career games with the Admirals, posting 3-1114 points with 105 PIM.
Prior to making his professional debut, Smaby captained the University of North Dakota (WCHA) to the NCAA Frozen Four in consecutive seasons in 2005 and 2006. He finished a three-year collegiate career with 6-2329 points and 280 PIM in 128 WCHA games.
American Hockey League Stories from July 3, 2012
- Coyotes Statement Regarding Forward Brett Maclean - San Antonio Rampage
- Rochester Americans Sign Rankin, Schofield to AHL Contracts - Rochester Americans
- Defenseman Andrew Campbell Signs Two-Year Contract with the Kings - Manchester Monarchs
- Remembering Rufenach: Center I.C.E. to Honor Fallen Prospect - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bears Sign Forward Mathieu Beaudoin - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Re-Sign Kris Newbury - Connecticut Whale
- Worcester Sharks Resign Forward Jimmy Bonneau - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Sign Forward Hugh Jessiman to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Binghamton Senators
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Former Admirals Defenseman Matt Smaby to One-Year Deal - Norfolk Admirals
- Kings 2012 Development Camp Opens on July 6 at TSC - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms and Flyers Sign Five - Adirondack Phantoms
- Summer Update from the Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Four-Time AHL All-Star St. Pierre Signs with Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Sabres to Hold 2012 Development Camp at First Niagara Center - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.