13 Inning Tussle Ends in 12-6 DefeatJuly 2, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Frederick Keys
In the decisive 13th inning, relief pitcher Brandon Erbe walked the first five batters he faced, forcing in two runs without registering an out. Outfielder Jeremy Nowak, who was the designated hitter in the game, came on to relieve Erbe after he exited with an injury to his throwing arm. Three more runs scored with Nowak on the mound - none of which were charged to him - allowing Wilmington to take a stunning 12-6 lead in the 13th inning.
Erbe is charged with the loss as his ERA jumps to 7.94 while the Keys fall to 5-7 in the second half of the season and 32-50 overall.
For Frederick, they tied the game in the bottom of the ninth inning after initially trailing 6-5. Aaron Baker, who already had a homerun in the game and leads the league in that department, hit his 17th homerun of the year over the left-centerfield wall to tie the game at six.
Yet it wasn't meant to be as the Keys saw the game slip out of their hands in the 13th inning.
The Keys initially held a 3-0 early in the game after Garabez Rosa hit a two-run homerun in the second, which was followed by an Aaron Baker solo homerun in the third.
Yet the early lead did not last, as Wilmington scored six unanswered runs. After tying the game in the fourth inning off of starter Tim Berry, Wilmington took the lead in the fifth when Cheslor Cuthbert, with two runners on base, hit a single to give Wilmington their first lead. After a double by Matt Fields, Wilmington claimed a 5-3 lead.
After an insurance from Wilmington off of reliever Jason Gurka to put the Blue Rocks up 6-3, that staged the Keys comeback which ended with Baker's solo blast in the bottom of the ninth.
The Keys are back in town for a super fireworks show Tuesday night to ring in the Independence Day holiday. For tickets to the fireworks extravaganza, fans can call 301-815-9939 or purchase them online at FrederickKeys.com.
Carolina League Stories from July 2, 2012
- 13 Inning Tussle Ends in 12-6 Defeat - Frederick Keys
- Thirteen Proves Lucky for Blue Crew - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Ignite Couch in Seventh Inning Comeback - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 'Cats and Dash Split Doubleheader in Lynchburg - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Hillcats Earn Split with Victory in Nightcap - Winston-Salem Dash
- Aguilar, Mudcats Crush P-Nats - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats, Aguilar Blast Nationals 11-1 - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Edge Red Sox 4-3 on Monday Night - Salem Red Sox
- Hankerd, Thompson Lift Dash to Victory - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Largest Fireworks Show of the Season Highlights Independence Eve Celebration - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes (Doubleheader) - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Heidenreich Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Winston-Salem Dash
- How to Reach the Potomac Nationals for Tickets - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.