Hankerd, Thompson Lift Dash to Victory
LYNCHBURG, VA (JULY 2, 2012) - Cyle Hankerd's RBI single in the top of the eighth inning propelled the Dash to a 5-4, extra-inning victory over the Lynchburg Hillcats in game one of a doubleheader Monday night at Calvin Falwell Field.
With two on and one down, Hankerd roped a single to left to push the Dash (5-6, 49-31-1) on top for the first time. Winston-Salem improved to 2-3 in extra-inning affairs and 4-3 against the Hillcats (5-6, 44-37) this season.
The Dash rallied from behind thanks to a pair of homers from Trayce Thompson. Thompson crushed a solo shot beyond the batter's eye in center field in the fourth to knot the score at 1-1.
Two innings later, with the Dash trailing by three, the former second-round pick cleared the scoreboard in left-center field for a three-run blast. Thompson now leads the league in home runs (16) and RBI (61).
Winston starter Steve McCray (3-0) tossed seven strong innings. The right-hander allowed four runs, three of which were earned, on six hits. McCray, who posted his longest outing of the season, has not lost since April 16 when he was with Low-A Kannapolis.
Taylor Thompson relieved McCray in the eighth and worked around a one-out walk to earn the save, his third of the season.
With the score tied at one apiece in the fourth, Lynchburg led off the frame with back-to-back base hits before Chris Garcia's RBI groundout. Two batters later, Matt Weaver doubled off the wall in right to push another run. The Hillcats scored an unearned run in the fifth to take a 4-1 advantage.
Game two of the Dash and Hillcats' twin bill is scheduled to begin at approximately 8:45 p.m. Fans can catch the play-by-play action at wsdash.com.
The Dash return home for a six-game homestand beginning Wednesday. There will be a post-game fireworks show Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Tickets are still available, so call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 to secure your seats.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 2, 2012
- 13 Inning Tussle Ends in 12-6 Defeat - Frederick Keys
- Thirteen Proves Lucky for Blue Crew - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Ignite Couch in Seventh Inning Comeback - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 'Cats and Dash Split Doubleheader in Lynchburg - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Hillcats Earn Split with Victory in Nightcap - Winston-Salem Dash
- Aguilar, Mudcats Crush P-Nats - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats, Aguilar Blast Nationals 11-1 - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Edge Red Sox 4-3 on Monday Night - Salem Red Sox
- Hankerd, Thompson Lift Dash to Victory - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Largest Fireworks Show of the Season Highlights Independence Eve Celebration - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes (Doubleheader) - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Heidenreich Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Winston-Salem Dash
- How to Reach the Potomac Nationals for Tickets - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Dash, Black Tie Transportation Ink Long-Term Agreement
- Free Open House Returns as Kickoff Event for 2018 Season
- Dash Announce Jam-Packed 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Passion to Perform Concert after Dash's Game on June 23
- Oh Say Can You Sing? Winston-Salem Journal National Anthem Tryouts Set for March 10