Game Notes: Chivas USA vs. Montreal ImpactJune 20, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The Home Depot Center - Carson, CA
TV: Prime Ticket (English)
The Goats stay at The Home Depot Center for their second match of a three game week as they host the Montreal Impact, Wednesday, June 20th, 7:30 pm (PT). The match, the first ever MLS meeting between the two teams, will broadcast on television, live on Prime Ticket in English. For more information about the game please visit cdchivasusa.com. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa
A Historic First Meeting: Chivas USA vs. Montreal Impact
Chivas USA (4-7-3) fell to Real Salt Lake, 3-0, Saturday night at The Home Depot Center in front of 13,816 fans. Real Salt Lake (10-3-2) forward Fabian Espindola scored two goals in the match, and Will Johnson also chipped in a goal of his own. With the loss Chivas USA's four-game unbeaten streak is snapped and the Rojiblancos remain at 15 points in the Western Conference.
Streak Stopped vs. RSL
After a lengthy break from MLS action, Chivas USA returned to action last Saturday night, hosting Real Salt Lake at The Home Depot Center. Real Salt Lake broke a scoreless tie in the 41st minute when midfielder Kyle Beckerman centered a pass from 35-yards to a cutting Fabian Espindola, who headed past Kennedy. The Argentine added a second goal in the 54th minute when he took a long pass down the right side from midfielder Ned Grabavoy, got around defender Rauwshan McKenzie, and tapped in his sixth goal of the season. Will Johnson finished the scoring in second half stoppage time for RSL. The defeat ended a four game unbeaten streak in MLS for the Red-and-White. Afterwards, head coach Robin Fraser looked ahead to the Goats' next contest: "I think we have something to prove to ourselves [on Wednesday]," said Fraser. "We've had a decent run. At times tonight it was good, but the execution wasn't good enough and certainly that is something that we, as a group, need to get back to sooner rather than later."
Six Goats Nominated for MLS All-Star Team
On July 25th the MLS All-Star team will take on UEFA Champions League Winners Chelsea FC at PPL Park in Chester, Pennsylvania in the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star game, and up to six Chivas USA players are hoping to be there. Last week, MLS announced that goalkeeper Dan Kennedy, defender James Riley, midfielders Nick LaBrocca and Oswaldo Minda, and forwards Alejandro Moreno and Juan Pablo Angel were among the nominees for the MLS roster. Fan voting for the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star game opened earlier this month at www.MLSsoccer.com and via text messaging. Twitter voting will begin soon. Last year's All-Star game featured two Chivas USA representatives, as defender Heath Pearce and Nick LaBrocca both saw action against Manchester United.
* All-Time Great Goal Scorers: The Goats have two players putting their names high on the MLS all-time scoring list. Colombian Juan Pablo Angel's 70 MLS goals have him number 18 on the all-time list. Alejandro Moreno is currently tied with Giovanni Savarese as the top Venezuelan goal scorer in MLS history with 51. With just one more score, Moreno will occupy the first spot as all-time Venezuelan goal scorer.
* Goats Notes:
* 2012 - June 20th - Chivas USA and the Montreal Impact will meet for the first time in MLS history. * Return of two Goats: While the two teams have never met in MLS action, there will be some familiarity between the sides. Montreal forward Justin Braun and defender Zarek Valentin both played for Chivas USA in 2011, Valentin as a rookie, Braun in his fourth year for the Red-and-White.
* Chivas USA Injury Update as of 06.19.12:
OUT: MF Marvin Iraheta (L knee ACL); MF Nick Labrocca (L HS); MF Ryan Smith (Neck strain); John Valencia (R HS)
DOUBTFUL: None QUESTIONABLE: Jose Correa (R HS); Miller Bolanos (L HS)
Major League Soccer Stories from June 20, 2012
- Sporting KC Picks up Point with 1-1 Draw at Seattle Sounders FC - Sporting Kansas City
- RSL Signs Gambian International & Former Revolution DF/FW Kenny Mansally - Real Salt Lake
- Impact Clarify Metro Situation - Montreal Impact
- Rapids Midfielder Jamie Smith Removed from DL - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Kansas City Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Chivas USA vs. Montreal Impact - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Less Than 1000 Tickets Remain for Tonight's Match vs. Toronto FC at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Sign D Jed Zayner - San Jose Earthquakes
- Food Network Star Jamie Deen to Participate in Diabetes Awareness Events - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.