Kernels Sweep Kane County, 5-3June 17, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
The Kernels scored twice in the 1st inning for the early 2-0 lead as Andy Workman's 2-RBI double into the gap in left center plated both Eric Stamets and Kaleb Cowart.
The Kernels scored two more times in the 2nd inning when Kaleb Cowart singled into left field to score both Chevy Clarke and Alex Yarbrough, giving the Kernels a 4-0 lead.
Andy Workman launched his 7th home run of the season out to straight away left field in the 5th inning, extending the Kernels lead to 5-0.
The Cougars tallied two runs in the bottom of the 5th inning. Jorge Bonifacio's RBI single to center plated Dean Espy. Kernels centerfielder Chevy Clarke's throwing error allowed Daniel Mateo to score and cut the Kernels lead to 5-2.
Orlando Calixte hit his 10th home run of the season to deep left center in the 6th inning, trimming the Kernels lead to 5-3.
Mike Johnson (4-3) picked up the win in relief, allowing one run over 1.1 innings. Dan Reynolds started and went 4.2 innings, allowing two runs (one earned). R.J. Alvarez, Aaron Meade, and Ty Kelley all dealt scoreless inning. Kelley notched his 11th save of the season.
Kellen Moen (3-3) took the loss for the Cougars over five innings of work. He allowed five runs on eight hits.
Now the Kernels break for the Midwest League All-Star Game. The Kernels return home next Friday to open up the 2nd half of the season vs. Beloit!
Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, KMRY. Listen at 1450 AM or 93.1 FM, as well as www.kernels.com and www.kmryradio.com.
Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com or by calling the Kernels box office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Midwest League Stories from June 17, 2012
- Kernels Sweep Kane County, 5-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hill's 2-Run Homer Gives Bandits Another Walkoff Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Quad Cities cracks walkoff homer to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Silver Hawks Drop First-Half Finale - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Loons Drop Midseason Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Take Series - Beloit Snappers
- Lugnuts close out historic half with 9-2 rout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fort Wayne Ends First Half with 9-3 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Finish First Half by Sweeping TinCaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Half 35-34 with 10-5 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Swept to End First Half - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Close out First Half with 5-3 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Keith Castillo Added to Hot Rods Roster - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Errors Cost Captains First Half Finale - Lake County Captains
- Kernels win third in a row, 7-5, over Kane County - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.