Sand Gnats Complete Four Game SweepJune 17, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Rome Braves
The game's first two runs came from the Sand Gnats in the third inning. After a base hit by Gilbert Gomez and an error by Elmer Reyes, Ismael Tijerina reached first and Gomez second base. T.J. Rivera later followed with an RBI single to right to plate Gomez and Tijerina reached third on the second error of the inning, this time by Will Skinner. Cam Maron then singled up the middle to score Tijerina for the 2-0 advantage. The Braves could not muster a hit or a run until the sixth inning. Brandon Drury recorded Rome's first hit of the afternoon with a lead off single, reached second on an error and was later called out at third trying to advance on a groundout by Reyes. However, Reyes reached second on the run down and would later score on a base hit by Tony Mueller to cut the lead in half. Savannah would increase the lead in the eighth, scoring three runs on three hits and taking advantage of three Braves errors to make the score 5-1. Rome would take a run back in the bottom of the inning, as Skinner doubled and scored on a Reyes RBI single for the 5-2 score. That would be as close as the Braves would come and the Sand Gnats would win 5-2 to complete the four game sweep.
Savannah's Marcos Camarena (5-1) went six innings, surrendering two hits and one run on the way to his fifth victory of the season. Ryan Weber (2-3) would record the loss after yielding five hits and two runs in seven innings.
The Braves take a quick three day break for the SAL All Star Game, taking place Tuesday in Charleston, SC and will return to action Thursday in Asheville. Rome will arrive home at State Mutual Stadium Mon. June 25 at 7 PM to take on the Greenville Drive. For ticket information, contact the Rome Braves at 706-378-5144 or log onto www.romebraves.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from June 17, 2012
- RiverDogs Can't Solve Hodges in First Half Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Shorebirds Lose First Half Finale, 4-3 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sand Gnats Complete Four Game Sweep - Rome Braves
- Late Rallies Fall Short in 4-3 Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Take First Half Finale 5-3 - West Virginia Power
- First-Rounders Shine in First Half Finale - Hagerstown Suns
- Legends Shut out Tourists 2-0 to End First Half of Season - Lexington Legends
- Drive Conclude First Half with 4-3 Win - Greenville Drive
- 'Claws Beat 'Dads 6-1 on Father's Day - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Dads Fall in First-Half Finale in Lakewood - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.