Kernels win third in a row, 7-5, over Kane CountyJune 17, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
Kane County struck first and scored a run in the 1st inning, taking a 1-0 lead. Justin Trapp drew a leadoff walk from Kernels starter Frank De Jiulio. Trapp stole both 2nd and 3rd base and then scored on a RBI groundout by Jorge Bonifacio.
The Kernels took a 4-1 lead in the 2nd inning. Frazier Hall led off the inning with a single, and Gary Mitchell then doubled to put two men on. Zach Borenstein then launched a 3-run home run to right center to give the Kernels the lead. Abel Baker followed with a single and later came home on a 2-out RBI double by Alex Yarbrough.
In the 3rd inning, the Kernels added one more run to take a 5-1 lead. Kaleb Cowart and Frazier Hall drew back to back walks to begin the inning. Cowart would come home in the inning on a RBI sacrifice fly to left by Zach Borenstein.
Kane County cut the Kernels lead to 5-3 with two runs in the 4th inning. Jorge Bonifacio and Lane Adams singled to begin the inning. They both scored on a RBI double by Orlando Calixte.
The Cougars added another run in the 5th inning to trim the Kernels lead to 5-4. Justin Trapp singled, stole 2nd base, and scored on a RBI double by Jorge Bonifacio.
The Kernels extended their lead to 6-4 in the 7th inning with the help of a Kane County error. Eric Stamets reached on an infield single, went to 2nd base on a wild pitch by Cougars starter Aaron Brooks, and took 3rd base on a throwing error by Cougars catcher Kenny Swab. Kaleb Cowart's RBI sacrifice fly to deep center plated Stamets and gave the Kernels a 6-4 advantage.
The Kernels added another insurance run in the 8th inning when Gary Mitchell cleared the wall with an opposite field home run, making the score 7-4. It was Mitchell's 8th of the season.
Kane County picked up a run in the bottom of the 8th inning. Lane Adams and Michael Antonio singled to begin the inning. Orlando Calixte then bounced a ball on the field. The defense recorded one out, but a throwing error by shortstop Eric Stamets allowed Adams to score, cutting the Kernels lead to 7-5.
Carmine Giardina (3-4) picked up the win in relief. He pitched 2.1 innings and allowed one run on two hits while striking out three and walking none. Frank De Jiulio started for the Kernels and went 3.2 innings. He allowed three runs on four hits while striking out four and walking one. Joe Melioris went 1.2 innings and allowed one unearned run on three hits. Stephen Tromblee notched his 3rd save, retiring all four hitters he faced.
Aaron Brooks (4-7) started for the Cougars and took the loss in seven innings. He allowed six runs (five earned) on nine hits while striking out five and walking three. Rudy Brown pitched two innings and allowed one run in relief.
The Kernels conclude the series at Kane County and the first half of the season on Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. The Kernels return home next Friday to open up the 2nd half of the season vs. Beloit!
Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, KMRY. Listen at 1450 AM or 93.1 FM, as well as www.kernels.com and www.kmryradio.com.
Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com or by calling the Kernels box office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Midwest League Stories from June 17, 2012
- Kernels Sweep Kane County, 5-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hill's 2-Run Homer Gives Bandits Another Walkoff Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Quad Cities cracks walkoff homer to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Silver Hawks Drop First-Half Finale - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Loons Drop Midseason Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Take Series - Beloit Snappers
- Lugnuts close out historic half with 9-2 rout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fort Wayne Ends First Half with 9-3 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Finish First Half by Sweeping TinCaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Half 35-34 with 10-5 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Swept to End First Half - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Close out First Half with 5-3 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Keith Castillo Added to Hot Rods Roster - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Errors Cost Captains First Half Finale - Lake County Captains
- Kernels win third in a row, 7-5, over Kane County - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.