Hawks Blanked in Series Finale with LoonsJune 8, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
Ralston Cash (1-1) earned the win for Great Lakes, tossing six scoreless innings of one-hit baseball. The right-hander struck out four and walked just one. Right-hander Tyler Green (1-3) got the loss for South Bend, allowing one earned run on five hits over four innings.
The Silver Hawks were shutout for the sixth time this season and for the second time on this homestand.
Gerson Montilla and Matt Helm recorded two-out singles in the ninth inning to put the tying runs on base and the potential winning run at the plate, but Yimi Garcia came in and got Fidel Pena to line out to second base to end the game. Garcia earned his ninth save in 13 tries.
The Loons took a 1-0 lead in the second inning on an RBI-base hit from Andrew Edge. Scott Schebler put the Loons up 2-0 in the eighth inning with an RBI single.
Right-hander Kable Hogben hurled three scoreless innings out of the Silver Hawks bullpen. The right-hander allowed just one hit and struck out one. James Baldwin led off the fifth inning with a triple against Hogben but was thrown out by Ender Inciarte trying to tag from third on a fly ball off the bat O'Koyea Dickson.
Inciarte also threw out Baldwin in the first inning when he tried to advance to second base after reaching on a Montilla error. The Silver Hawks committed three errors in the game.
Montilla finished 3-for-4 for the Silver Hawks. Jesus Arredondo, Jesse Bosnik and Schebler each tallied two hits for the Loons.
Seth Simmons worked two innings out of the Silver Hawks bullpen and allowed one unearned run on three hits over two innings. The right-hander walked one and struck out two.
The Silver Hawks hit the road Saturday to begin a three-game series with the Fort Wayne TinCaps at Parkview Field. First pitch is on tap for 7:05 p.m. EST. Right-hander J.R. Bradley (2-4, 5.11) starts for South Bend and he will be opposed by right-hander Matt Wisler (2-3, 2.66). The Silver Hawks return home on Friday, June 15, to take on the West Michigan Whitecaps at 7:35 p.m. EST. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from June 8, 2012
- Bees Shut Out, 7-0 to Beloit - Burlington Bees
- Hawks Blanked in Series Finale with Loons - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Miller time for the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Sweep Kernels in Record Setting Fashion - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Fall to Cougars, Suffer First Sweep of 2012 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Sweep River Bandits - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Enjoy Big Inning, Beat Dragons 14-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Floethe, Hot Rods blank Lugnuts, 3-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rea Leads TinCaps to 5-0 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Epic Eighth Inning Elevates Captains to the Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Reds Bill Bray Scheduled to Pitch for Dragons Saturday, Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 9-14 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Gameday for June 8 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps, Minor League Baseball See Attendance Increases - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappy D. Turtle Makes Elite 8 in MiLB Mascot Mania - Beloit Snappers
- Lou E. Loon Advances to the Elite 8 - Great Lakes Loons
- Peoria blanks Kernels, 2-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.