River Bandits Fall to Cougars, Suffer First Sweep of 2012June 8, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Quad Cities River Bandits
The River Bandits lost all three games in a series for the first time since May 1-3, 2011, at home against Wisconsin, and they were swept as the visiting team for the first time since Cedar Rapids swept a three-game set May 18-20, 2010. Quad Cities (29-32) was outscored by a total of just seven runs in the series but never led in any of the three games.
River Bandits left-handed starter Jonathan Cornelius (1-2) worked just four innings but allowed all seven hits and all four runs by the Cougars. He walked one batter and struck out three.
Calixte led off the second inning with a triple to center field and scored on a one-out RBI single by left fielder Tim Ferguson. Cougars second baseman Justin Trapp followed with a sacrifice fly to left field that scored catcher Kenny Swab and gave Kane County a 2-0 lead.
The River Bandits scored their only run in the fourth inning. Catcher Juan Castillo hit a leadoff single and advanced to third base on a single by first baseman Roberto De La Cruz. Castillo then scored on a wild pitch by Cougars right-handed starter Angel Baez. Castillo, De La Cruz, center fielder Nick Martini and second baseman Colin Walsh had the only four hits for the River Bandits.
In the bottom of the fourth, Kane County (33-28) scored twice to extend the lead to 4-1. Calixte hit a leadoff home run to left field for his ninth of the season. Then first baseman Dean Espy doubled to left, and Swab added an RBI single to drive in Espy.
Baez allowed a run on three hits while striking out three batters, but he also issued four walks in four-plus innings. He was removed following a fifth-inning leadoff walk to River Bandits shortstop Luis Mateo. Right-hander Jonathan Dooley replaced Baez and escaped the inning with a ground-ball double play. Dooley (2-0) notched two strikeouts and induced six ground balls against the eight batters he faced in three innings of work.
The River Bandits had one base runner in the final two innings against left-hander Rudy Brown and right-hander Matt Ridings, who tossed a perfect ninth inning for his second save of the series and season.
The Cougars drew a walk for their only base runner in a hitless four innings by the River Bandits bullpen. Right-hander Willy Paulino pitched the fifth and sixth, and right-handers Travis Miller and Heath Wyatt worked perfect seventh and eighth innings, respectively.
Quad Cities opens a three-game series at Burlington Saturday night at 6:30 p.m. River Bandits left-hander Hector Hernandez (4-4) is scheduled to face Bees right-hander Max Perlman (1-2). Quad Cities leads the season series four games to two.
Midwest League Stories from June 8, 2012
- Bees Shut Out, 7-0 to Beloit - Burlington Bees
- Hawks Blanked in Series Finale with Loons - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Miller time for the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Sweep Kernels in Record Setting Fashion - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Fall to Cougars, Suffer First Sweep of 2012 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Sweep River Bandits - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Enjoy Big Inning, Beat Dragons 14-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Floethe, Hot Rods blank Lugnuts, 3-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rea Leads TinCaps to 5-0 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Epic Eighth Inning Elevates Captains to the Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Reds Bill Bray Scheduled to Pitch for Dragons Saturday, Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 9-14 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Gameday for June 8 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps, Minor League Baseball See Attendance Increases - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappy D. Turtle Makes Elite 8 in MiLB Mascot Mania - Beloit Snappers
- Lou E. Loon Advances to the Elite 8 - Great Lakes Loons
- Peoria blanks Kernels, 2-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.