Round Rock Express Slam Memphis 9-3June 1, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Round Rock Express
After successive one-out walks from Brad Nelson, Joey Butler and Mike Bianucci, Val Majewski grounded into an RBI fielder's choice. Dusty Brown then walked to reload the bases ahead of Kata's home run, his sixth of the season. It was Round Rock's first grand slam since Butler's sixth-inning shot Aug. 19, 2011, at Fresno.
Memphis got on the board in the third on a Eugenio Velez three-run double, but that was the end of the scoring for the Redbirds. Round Rock tacked on four runs in the seventh. Butler started the scoring with an RBI single, and Majewski added a bases-loaded, two-run double. Kata scored the game's final run with an RBI groundout.
Express starter Zach Jackson (2-5) allowed three runs on four hits and four walks with two strikeouts over six innings for the win, his first since April 24. Derek Hankins, John Gaub and Tanner Scheppers each worked a scoreless inning. Only Gaub allowed a base runner, that a Velez one-out double in the eighth; he also had one strikeout.
Starter Shelby Miller (4-4) took the loss for the Redbirds; he surrendered five runs on just two hits but walked four over three innings; he had three strikeouts.
Kata finished 3-for-6 with five RBI, his most since June 4, 2010, against Iowa while with the Houston Astros affiliated Express. He extended his hitting streak to seven games, his longest of the season. Nelson also extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 1-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored; he has hit safely in 20 consecutive road games - the longest such streak in the PCL this season.
Eight of nine Express starters hit safely, including Bianucci with a 3-for-4 night. Butler (1-for-3) walked twice and scored twice. Brown was 0-for-3 but walked twice. The Express drew nine walks as a team.
Velez finished 2-for-3 with two doubles and three RBI; he has four doubles, two homers and 11 RBI in seven games against the Express this season.
Round Rock and Memphis conclude their four-game series Friday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at AutoZone Park. Left-hander Michael Kirkman (4-1, 5.57 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Express opposite Redbirds lefty Nick Additon (1-5, 5.76 ERA).
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 1, 2012
- Las Vegas wins 11-1 - Tucson Padres
- Cubs' Comeback Spoiled by Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Storm Chasers Tame the I-Cubs on Friday, Win 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Sweep Sounds, 5-3 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Express Blank 'Birds, Split Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Reynolds, Express Squeak by Memphis 3-0 - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Triple-Play Not Enough in 2-0 Loss to Zephyrs - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Lose 5-3, Swept by Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Name 1B Anthony Rizzo, RHP P.J. Francescon Minor League Player, Pitcher of the Month for May - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Activate INF Yuniesky Betancourt - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: June 1, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Follow RedHawks Broadcaster Alex Freedman on Twitter - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Announce 2012 Trevecca Nazarene University Faith Nights - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Turns Triple Play in Win over Tucson - Tucson Padres
- Round Rock Sinks Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Slam Memphis 9-3 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.