Hernandez Pitches Barons to 1-0 Shutout over LookoutsMay 31, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Birmingham Barons
Both teams battled through five scoreless innings as both starting pitchers mowed down hitter after hitter. Barons starter Pedro Hernandez allowed just four hits over 7.2 shutout innings while striking out three while Lookouts starter Allen Webster allowed one hit over 4.0 shutout innings before being removed in favor of reliever Red Patterson.
Former Lookout Corey Smith broke the scoreless deadlock with his second home run in as many days, a solo shot deep to right center giving the Barons a 1-0 lead.
The run would be the only tally of the evening as Ryan Kussmaul recorded the final four outs, earning his 6th save and giving the Barons a 1-0 victory, their second shutout of the season. Their previous shutout came on April 20th against the Mississippi Braves.
Hernandez (7-1, 2.43) picked up the win as the Barons snapped a two-game losing skid and improved to 25-29 on the year. The Barons will look to win the series tomorrow night as LHP Matt Wickswat (1-3, 11.37) takes the hill against RHP Ethan Martin (5-1, 3.28). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM CDT.
Southern League Stories from May 31, 2012
- Smokies Ride Jokisch's Arm to 4-1 Victory Thursday - Tennessee Smokies
- Suns Stun BayBears for Second Straight - Mobile BayBears
- Stars Two-Hit by Smokies in Loss - Huntsville Stars
- Jensen Lifts Suns to 5-3 Win over BayBears - Jacksonville Suns
- Hernandez Pitches Barons to 1-0 Shutout over Lookouts - Birmingham Barons
- Generals Game Postponed on Thursday - Jackson Generals
- Mayo Acosta Activated from AAA Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Andrelton Simmons to Atlanta and Greg Paiml to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- M-Brave Andrelton Simmons Promoted to Atlanta - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.