Intimidators Sweep Doubleheader, Series vs. RomeMay 30, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Kannapolis Intimidators
GAME 1: Kannapolis (24-28) lead 4-1 before a Rangel Ravelo error in the top of the sixth opened the door for three Rome runs to tie the game, eventually forcing extra innings.
Chris Devenski (3-1) worked a scoreless top of the eighth for the win, and Rome's John Cornely (0-3) suffered the loss.
Rome outfielder Robby Hefflington dropped a fly ball with two outs in the bottom of the third inning, allowing Ross Wilson to score from first base, and Mark Haddow followed with an RBI-single for the early 2-0 lead.
The Braves got one run back in the fourth inning when Hefflinger reached on a Ravelo error and scored two batters later on a Brandon Drury sac-fly.
Kannapolis extended the lead with two more runs in the fifth inning as Cyle Hankerd reached on an error by pitcher Rafael Briceno, whose throw to first to get Hankerd dribbled low of the glove of first baseman Brandon Drury. Mark Haddow followed with a double, Rangel Ravelo drove in Hankerd and Haddow scored when the throw home got away from Rome catcher Ryan Query.
The teams combined for seven errors in the game, leading to eight combined unearned runs.
GAME 2: The first eight Intimidators batters reached base safely and scored in the bottom of the third inning. Keenyn Walker opened the scoring onslaught with a two-run single, and Ross Wilson, Kevan Smith, Mark Haddow and Cyle Hankerd followed with run-scoring hits of their own before Rome could record an out.
Kannapolis added a pair of runs in the fourth when Bill Rice drew a bases-loaded walk and Grant Buckner followed with an RBI-single.
Rome cobbled together a two-out rally in the top of the fifth, forcing Intimidators starter Scott Snodgress from the game after 4 and 2/3 innings and a career-high five walks, three of which came in the fifth.
Reliever Jeff Soptic (1-0) earned the win with a 1-2-3 inning in the top of the sixth, and Stew Brase tossed a scoreless seventh to finish the game.
The Intimidators begin a four-game series against the Lakewood BlueClaws on Thursday at CMC-NorthEast Stadium. For ticket information, call the box office at (704) 932-3267 or visit www.IntimidatorsBaseball.com .
South Atlantic League Stories from May 30, 2012
- Shorebirds Edged in Finale, 3-2, by Crawdads - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Top Augusta 6-1 Behind Cruz - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Sweep Delmarva with 3-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Sweep BlueClaws - West Virginia Power
- Legends Claim Series; Augusta Falls 6-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- BlueClaws Get Swept in West Virginia, Lose 10-5 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- RiverDogs Split Doubleheader in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Intimidators Sweep Doubleheader, Series vs. Rome - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Crawdads Weekly - 'Dads Host Power for Fun-Filled Weekend Series - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Purke's Debut Spoiled in 5-3 Loss to Greensbo - Hagerstown Suns
- Mark Ballas of Dancing with the Stars Autograph Signing June 6th - Lakewood BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.