Roberts Dominant in Mudcats DebutMay 4, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Carolina Mudcats
Roberts (1-0), newly promoted from Lake County, held the Keys hitless over his final five innings after allowing two in the first on three two-out hits. He struck out two.
Carolina rallied quickly against Keys starter Scott Copeland (1-2). The Mudcats scored three in the second inning thanks to a pair of doubles from Carlos Moncrief and Ronny Rodriguez. Delvi Cid singled home one, and Justin Toole hit a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded to give the Mudcats a 3-2 lead they would not relinquish.
Ronny Rodriguez led the Carolina offense with four hits, including two doubles and two RBI. Justin Toole drove in three runs on two hits. Jesus Aguilar extended his hitting streak to six with a fifth inning double.
The Mudcats slowly pulled away in the middle innings. Rodriguez lined his second double down the left field line to put Carolina ahead 4-2 in the third.
In the fifth, Carolina recorded four straight two-out hits to plate three. A bases-loaded walk by Holt in the seventh was followed by a two-run hit from Toole for a 10-2 lead.
Frederick scored singles runs in the eighth and ninth to round out the scoring.
Game two between Carolina and Frederick is set for 6:15 p.m. on Saturday night at Five County Stadium. The evening's festivities will feature an appearance by the Sweetright Brothers. Tickets are available through the box office by calling (919) 269-2287 or visiting carolinamudcats.com.
Carolina League Stories from May 4, 2012
- Hague Sends Rocks to Walk-Off Sorrow - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winston Dashes Past Salem 10-8 - Salem Red Sox
- Dash Rock Red Sox - Winston-Salem Dash
- Roberts Dominant in Mudcats Debut - Carolina Mudcats
- Nationals Walk off on Wilmington 5-4 - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Bats Strike Early in 7-3 Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Four-Run First Dooms 'Cats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats Game Notes - May 4 - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.