Isotopes Outlast Zephyrs in 12-Inning BattleApril 28, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) New Orleans Zephyrs
A leadoff walk to Albuquerque's Josh Fields came back to haunt New Orleans as Cruz doubled down the third base line, plating Fields for the go-ahead run in the 12th frame.
Albuquerque got on the board first when Brad Hand walked in Matt Angle with bases loaded and two outs in the third inning.
Will Savage held the Zephyrs hitless until the fifth inning when Matt Dominguez singled to right field with one out. Cole Armstrong doubled into the right field corner to score Dominguez and tie the game at one apiece.
Albuquerque bats came alive with one out in the seventh inning when the Isotopes rallied off reliever Dan Jennings. Angle singled and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. Elian Herrera singled and scored Angle, followed by another RBI single off the bat of Joe Becker, plating Herrera.
Luke Montz quickly answered back leading off the bottom of the frame with a single to left field. Armstrong singled up the middle, scoring Montz and inching closer, bringing it to a 3-2 ballgame.
The Z's tied it up in the eighth inning with a leadoff pinch hit single by Chris Aguila and sacrifice fly from Montz, but that would be the last time New Orleans scored.
Elih Villanueva (3-1) was saddled with his first loss of the year, allowing the winning run and three hits in three innings of relief. Derrick Loop (2-0) picked up his second win, giving up just one hit in three innings while Josh Wall tabbed his fifth save.
New Orleans will conclude the series at 1pm on Sunday. Left-hander Wade LeBlanc (1-1) will start on the slab for the Zephyrs and righty Stephen Fife (1-2) will be on the mound for the Isotopes.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 28, 2012
- Isotopes Outlast Zephyrs in 12-Inning Battle - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Six-run first inning too much for E-Train to overcome - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Ride Past Express, 11-5 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Shut Out Cubs, Snap Losing Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Aces Win Third-Straight, 5-2, over Bees - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Edge Zephyrs 4-3 in 12 Innings - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Drop 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Back on Winning Track with Shutout of I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Hollingsworth Helps Omaha Handle Memphis - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chicago Recalls Castillo, Apodaca Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sky Sox Return Favor, Shut Out Grizzlies - Fresno Grizzlies
- Tucson wins 5-1 - Tucson Padres
- Sacramento Falls to Tucson, 5-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Blanked By Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.