Error Plagues Smokies in 3-0 Loss at JacksonApril 27, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Tennessee Smokies
Fresh off the disabled list, Trey McNutt started for the Smokies and tossed three scoreless innings before being lifted from the game once he hit is pitch count. McNutt, who retired the first eight batters he faced, allowed just one hit and struck out two batters without issuing a walk before turning the ball over to Ryan Searle in the fourth.
With Mariners top prospect Taijuan Walker on the mound for Jackson, the contest went scoreless into the sixth inning.
Jackson opened the scoring in the bottom of the sixth, plating three unearned runs against Searle. Gabriel Noriega led off the inning by reaching on an error by first baseman Rebel Ridling. After a sacrifice bunt and a fly out, Noriega came plateward on a Joe Dunigan double with two outs in the frame to give the Generals a 1-0 edge. RBI singles by Rich Poythress and Denny Almonte made it 3-0.
Walker (3-0) scattered six hits over six scoreless innings to pick up the victory while Searle (1-2) worked 4.2 frames in relief but suffered the loss. Carter Capps fired a scoreless ninth to notch his second save of the season.
Offensively for Tennessee, Nate Samson and Elliot Soto each finished with two hits.
The Smokies and Generals continue their five-game series on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. ET when Tennessee sends right-hander Dallas Beeler (0-0, 2.42 ERA) to the mound against Jackson righty Brandon Maurer (0-0, 3.86 ERA) at Pringles Park.
Southern League Stories from April 27, 2012
- Pitching Propels Stars over M-Braves - Huntsville Stars
- Biscuits Suffer Third-Straight Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Blue Wahoos Cruise to 8-2 Win - Jacksonville Suns
- Stars Win Second Straight - Huntsville Stars
- Generals score three in sixth to defeat Smokies, 3-0 - Jackson Generals
- BayBears Strike Late for Win Friday - Mobile BayBears
- Error Plagues Smokies in 3-0 Loss at Jackson - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Edge Lookouts, 4-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- McNutt Activated from Disabled List - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Power Past Lookouts in Win Thursday - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.