Hoilman, Chiefs slam Lugnuts in 9th, 6-2April 24, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
Trailing 2-0 entering the bottom of the ninth, the Chiefs quickly loaded the bases on a pair of singles and a fielding error by reliever Brandon Berl (Loss, 2-1). Closer Ajay Meyer (Blown Save, 2) relieved Berl, but his first pitch was ripped by Wes Darvill to right field for a game-tying two-run double.
After an intentional walk re-loaded the bases, Hoilman smacked the walk-off long ball to the palm trees in left, his first home run of the season.
The Lugnuts had broken a scoreless tie in the top of the ninth against Ben Wells (Win, 1-1) when Kevin Pillar scored on an error by Chiefs centerfielder Pin-Chih Chen and Andy Burns tacked on an RBI single. The lead, as it turned out, would not be nearly enough.
19-year-old right-hander Aaron Sanchez started for Lansing and dominated, striking out seven Chiefs over three innings while allowing only one hit and walking three.
Fellow prospect Justin Nicolino had to work out of trouble in the fifth and sixth inning, but the lefty similarly did not allow a run in his three innings of work, scattering five hits while striking out two.
Chiefs starter Kyler Burke was just as good, throwing six innings of three-hit, shutout ball.
In the losing cause, both Andy Burns and Kenny Wilson recorded 2-for-4 performances for the Lugnuts.
The Lansing Lugnuts return home to Cooley Law School Stadium on Wednesday, April 25th, beginning a six-game homestand with a 7:05 p.m. "Ladies Night" against Kane County. Michigan native Jesse Hernandez (1-1, 1.47) will start for Lansing, opposed by Cougars Aaron Brooks (2-1, 5.87).
Tickets are available for purchase at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from April 24, 2012
- Kernels rally but fall to Dayton, 3-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hawks Sweep Away Rattlers with 10-4 Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Hawks complete sweep of Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Hold on for 3-2 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Score 5 in 9th, But Lose 11-9 to Loons - Burlington Bees
- Walsh Homers Again, But River Bandits Fall in Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Road Trip Ends with 7-3 Win at Clinton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hoilman Beats Lansing With Walk-Off Slam - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Hang on for Series Win - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Comeback Falls Short as They Lose 6-5 - Lake County Captains
- Hoilman, Chiefs slam Lugnuts in 9th, 6-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Red Hot Vettleson Delivers Hot Rods Another Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for April 24 - Dayton Dragons
- Upcoming Home Stand April 25-30 - Beloit Snappers
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for April 25-30 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Begin Six-Game Home Stand Wednesday Featuring Western Division Opponents - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Add Concepcion, Cabezas in Roster Moves - Peoria Chiefs
- No Nuts, Please; Peanut-Free Games Set for May 9 and 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.