Homers Lift Hot Rods Over Kernels on FridayApril 20, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Bowling Green Hot Rods
The Kernels took the game's first lead on a two-run homerun by Ryan Jones in the top of the first inning, but the Hot Rods quickly responded. After Juniel Querecuto and Drew Vettleson both reached to start the Hot Rods night at the plate, Jeff Malm drove in a run on his one-out RBI-groundout to second base. The very next batter was Taylor Motter, who promptly tied the score with his two-out RBI single to left field.
Bowling Green took their first lead of the game in the bottom of the third inning when Drew Vettleson and Todd Glaesmann both doubled to begin the frame. Glaesmann's double to left field just missed clearing the fence to give the Hot Rods their first home run at Bowling Green Ballpark this season.
Alejandro Segovia and Tyler Goeddel made up for Glaesmann's miss on a homerun, each hitting solo homeruns on the night that helped push the Hot Rods lead to 6-2. Bowling Green's relief corps were strong once again as Jason McEachern and Stayton Thomas did not allow a run in three innings pitched.
The Hot Rods also were led by Taylor Motter's two runs driven in and Jeff Malm's RBI-groundout. Starter Roberto Gomez was strong enough in his five frames to grab his first win of the season in a game that was ended after the top of the eighth inning due to rain.
Bowling Green and Cedar Rapids will bring their three-game series to an end on Saturday night at Bowling Green Ballpark at 7:05 PM as the season's longest home stretch continues. Hot Rods RHP Jake Floethe (2-0, 0.56) will get the pearl from Brady Williams, while the Kernels will counter with RHP Austin Wood (2-1, 2.57).
Join Hank Fuerst for the Forever Communications Pre-Game Show at 6:45 PM on the flagship station for the Hot Rods Radio Network, 1340-AM "The Ticket". Tune in to the game online at 1340wbgn.com.
Saturday's game will feature a post-game fireworks display presented by WBKO. For ticket information, call the Hot Rods at (270)-901-2121 or log on to www.BGHotRods.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 20, 2012
- Sano, Snappers Throttle Hawks to Force Rubber Match - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Collect 15 Hits, Win 12-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Wash Away Bandits' Winning Streak, 12-7 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Win Pitchers' Duel Part Two - Burlington Bees
- Homers Lift Hot Rods Over Kernels on Friday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 7-5 Friday Night - Peoria Chiefs
- TinCaps Crush Cougars 12-1 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees turn tables, shut out Lugnuts, 2-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Shutout Lumberkings 7-0 - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Mauled by TinCaps - Kane County Cougars
- Defense leads the way as Rattlers win fourth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Vega-Rosado Placed on DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bad Apple Dancers Win Hoosier Hospitality Award - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for April 20 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Host Public Safety Day on April 22nd - Dayton Dragons
- Loons, Dow Partner for Dow Student Heroes - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.