Baysox Drop 'Wolves in Series OpenerApril 19, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Erie SeaWolves
The Baysox took the lead in the bottom of the third against Erie starter Jared Wesson on a pair of solo home runs. Jonathan Schoop led off with a big fly and Allan de San Miguel followed with a one-out homer for a 2-1 edge.
In the fifth, Michael Rockett led off with a single and moved into scoring position on a Brent Wyatt base hit. Rockett scored on a Niuman Romero groundout, tying the game at 2-2.
The Baysox quickly regained the lead in the last of the fifth. Robbie Widlansky and Antoan Richardson each walked while L.J. Hoes singled to load the bases with one out. Manny Machado sent a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Widlansky for a 3-2 Bowie lead.
Bowie would tack on insurance runs in the next two innings, growing their lead to three. In the sixth, Schoop walked with one out and was doubled home on a hit and run from Widlansky.
In the seventh, Bowie loaded the bases against reliever Michael Morrison. Brandon Waring singled, Tyler Townsend doubled and Zelous Wheeler was hit by a pitch. With Schoop hitting, a wild pitch scored Waring for a 5-2 Baysox edge. Erie would get no closer.
Stuart Pomeranz held the SeaWolves scoreless over the final three innings of the game, limiting Erie to just two hits over that span. Pomeranz earned his first save.
Wesson (1-1) took the loss allowing four runs on five hits with five walks and five strikeouts.
The SeaWolves and Baysox meet in the second game of a four-game series on Friday night at Prince George's Stadium...7:05 First Pitch. Lefty Kelvin De La Cruz (0-1, 5.40 ERA) takes the mound for Erie against RHP Tim Bascom (2-0, 3.50 ERA).
Eastern League Stories from April 19, 2012
- Baysox Drop 'Wolves in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Big First Inning Leads Senators Past Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Clark Leads Sox Past SeaWolves - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Win Wild Affair in New Britain 6-5 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Gorski Rocks & Offense Rolls in 6-0 Win - Binghamton Mets
- Senators Ride Big First Inning to 6-2 Win over Trenton - Harrisburg Senators
- Rock Cats Battle Back, Lose In 9th - New Britain Rock Cats
- B-Mets Sting Sea Dogs in 6-0 Shutout - Portland Sea Dogs
- Cumpton Victorious Second Time Around as Curve Win, 4-3 - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels Miss Chances, Fall Short in Opener, 4-3 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Add of Medchill; Place Brewer on DL - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Dunkin' Donuts Launches "Dunkin' Dugout" Program with Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes Vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Announce Roster Moves; Huff Joins Club on Rehab Assignment - Akron Aeros
- Wynn Pelzer Released, Greg Burke Joins Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.