Adams' Clutch Hit Helps Tides over KnightsApril 15, 2012 - International League (IL) - Norfolk Tides Press Release
Norfolk put together the game-winning rally of Knights reliever Anthony Carter (0-1), who ignited the inning by hitting Scott Beerer with a pitch to lead off the frame. After a sacrifice bunt by Blake Davis moved Beerer to second, Carter walked Matt Antonelli and Xavier Avery to load the bases. Carter retired Steve Tolleson on a popout, but Adams ended the contest by lining a 1-0 pitch into right-center field to plate Beerer and give Norfolk the win in the homestand finale.
Norfolk won three of the four games with Charlotte to pick up its first series victory of the season.
The Tides jumped out to an early lead off of Charlotte starter Eric Stults, as Adams and Jamie Hoffmann hit back-to-back two-out doubles in the first to give Norfolk a 1-0 lead. One inning later, Antonelli scored John Hester with a two-out single to extend Norfolk's lead to 2-0.
The score stayed that way until the sixth before the Knights rallied against Tides' reliever Chris George. Jim Gallagher led off the frame with a double, and after Dan Johnson worked a two-out walk, Josh Phegley lofted a two-out, three-run home run just over the left field wall to give Charlotte the 3-2 lead.
Norfolk knotted the score in the bottom of the sixth thanks to some aggressive baserunning by Jai Miller. Miller was hit by a pitch to lead off the frame, stole second, then advanced to third on a fly ball to left field. Beerer followed with a groundout to second base that scored Miller, tying the contest at 3-3.
Norfolk starter Jason Berken turned in his second impressive outing of the season, as he blanked the Knights over his five innings of work. Berken allowed three hits and two walks while striking out five, and he's now thrown nine scoreless innings to start the 2012 campaign.
Tyler Kuhn led Charlotte's offense with three hits.
Miguel Socolovich (1-0) earned the win with two scoreless innings of relief.
The Tides begin an eight-game road trip Monday night as they travel to Gwinnett to begin a four-game set with the Braves. Brad Bergesen (0-1, 8.68) will take the mound for the Tides against right-hander Erik Cordier, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05.
International League Stories from April 15, 2012
- PawSox Fall in Ten Innings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indians and Mud Hens Split Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Yankees Win Streak Stopped at Three with 7-2 Loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Durham Snaps G-Braves' Win-Streak at Six Games - Gwinnett Braves
- Moore, Chiefs Power Past Yankees, 7-2 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tides Beat Knights 4-3 in Sunday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Adams' Clutch Hit Helps Tides over Knights - Norfolk Tides
- Empire State Yankees Host Opening Day at Frontier Field Tomorrow - Rochester Red Wings
- Rochester Red Wings Place Outfielder Brian Dinkelman on 7-Day DL - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Place LHP Daniel Herrera on DL, RHP Brad Holt Promoted from Binghamton - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Notes - Pawtucket at Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.