Suns Drop Fourth StraightApril 13, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Jacksonville Suns
The Lookouts got to work in the second inning when they sent eight batters to the plate and jumped out to a 3-0 lead against Suns starter Graham Taylor. They scored three runs on three hits, with J.T. Wise providing the big hit in the inning, a double into the left field corner that drove in a pair of runs. Wise has driven in six runs in his last two games. This season, the Suns are 3-1 when scoring the game's first run, and 0-5 when they allow their opponent to score first.
In the third inning, Chattanooga used four straight hits to add three more runs to their total and make the score 6-0. Rafael Ynoa and Griff Erickson each drove in a run in the inning.
Lookouts starter Matt Magill was untouchable in the first two innings. He struck out six of the first eight Suns batters in the game. But in the home half of the third, the Suns got to Magill and scored their only runs of the game to cut the lead to 6-3. Jake Smolinski was hit by a pitch and would come around to score the Suns first run when he was driven in by a Shawn Bowman single. In the inning, Jeff Dominguez walked to force in a run with the bases loaded, and Jake Jefferies drove in his first run of the season with a single.
That would be a close as Jacksonville would get. The losing pitcher was Graham Taylor, who allowed nine hits and six runs (5 earned) in four innings. Geison Aguasviva earned the win for Chattanooga by pitching two scoreless innings. The two teams combined to strike out 27 times in the game. Suns pitchers had 14 strikeouts on the night, led by Taylor who fanned seven. Wade Korpi and A.J. Ramos each had three strikeouts and Josh Schmidt had one. Lookouts pitchers struck out 13 Jacksonville hitters on this Friday the 13th night, with Magill recording eight.
Jacksonville will try to salvage a game from the series on Saturday night with the first pitch scheduled for 6:05P.M. Omar Poveda takes the mound for the Suns looking for his second win of the home stand. Hard-throwing right-hander Nathan Eovaldi is the scheduled starter for Chattanooga.
Southern League Stories from April 13, 2012
- Stars Squeak out Second Consecutive Win - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears Walk off Winners in Whacky Ninth - Mobile BayBears
- Stars Slip by Barons 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Ridling's Big Night Leads Smokies to 4-1 Win Friday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Win Second Straight - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Announce Local Television Partnership - Jacksonville Suns
- Suns Drop Fourth Straight - Jacksonville Suns
- Biscuits Manage 2 Hits in Shutout Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies top Generals on Friday night, 4-1 - Jackson Generals
- Generals off to Historic Start - Jackson Generals
- Lookouts Homestand Highlights - Chattanooga Lookouts
- LHP Merklinger to DL; RHP Rogers Reinstated, Assigned to HSV - Huntsville Stars
- Lookouts Blank Suns 1-0 - Jacksonville Suns
- Stars Snap Losing Skid - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.