Hayes, Almond Named Red Claws Co-Players of the Year in Fan VoteApril 7, 2012 - NBA Development League (D-League) Maine Red Claws
Morris Almond, a 2007 first round draft selection of the Utah Jazz (25th overall) who appeared in 34 NBA games, is in his second season with the Red Claws. Almond, who also has 34 NBA games to his credit, captured the 2008-09 and 2009-10 NBA Development League scoring titles and following the conclusion of the 2011-12 season tonight, should earn his third title. Considered one of the top prospects in the NBA Development, The Rice University product rejoined the Red Claws midseason and entering tonight's game had appeared in 28 games and was averaging 23.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
Kenny Hayes, a second year pro out of the University of Miami - Ohio, is in his second season with the Red Claws. Sparingly used in his rookie season, Hayes has blossomed into a true leader and key player for Maine this season. Hayes, who should be a clear front runner of the NBA Development League's Most Improved Player Award, earned an invite earlier this season to the Cleveland Cavaliers training camp and has appeared in 43 games for the Red Claws this season, averaging 17.1 points per game.
"Morris Almond and Kenny Hayes are wonderful examples of what the NBA Development is and should be about," Red Claws President and General Manager Jon Jennings said. "They are consummate professionals, on and off the court, and the development I have seen personally in each is remarkable but not surprising. These are two players who have earned a look by NBA teams, and I know all of Crustacean Nation joins me in looking forward to great futures for both of them."
Maine Red Claws - 2011-12 marks the third season for the Maine Red Claws, the minor league affiliate of the Boston Celtics, Charlotte Bobcats and Philadelphia 76ers. The NBA D-League team plays its home games at the Portland Expo Building. The franchise is owned and operated by Maine Basketball, LLC, which is principally owned by Bill Ryan Sr., the retired chairman of TD Bank, and Bill Ryan Jr., owner and operator of Oxford Plains Speedway. Jon Jennings, a partner in Maine Basketball, LLC and former Boston Celtics assistant coach, serves as the team's president and general manager.
NBA Development League Stories from April 7, 2012
- Toros Hold off Skyforce in Regular Season Finale - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends Fall in Season Finale to Armor - Texas Legends
- Idaho's Carter Hits Game-Winner at Buzzer - Idaho Stampede
- D-Fenders Win To Cap Off Greatest Regular Season In League History - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Vipers Win Final Game of the Season Over Reno - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Los Angeles Slows Down Energy 95-79 - Iowa Energy
- Bighorns Drop High-Scoring Season Finale to Vipers - Reno Bighorns
- Mad Ants Win Season Finale Over Dakota - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Win Season Finale Over Tulsa, 84-82 - Maine Red Claws
- Tulsa Concludes Season at Maine - Tulsa 66ers
- Hayes, Almond Named Red Claws Co-Players of the Year in Fan Vote - Maine Red Claws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.