Rainiers Drop Season Opener to Salt LakeApril 6, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
Salt Lake dealt Tacoma in an early 1-0 deficit after former Rainiers outfielder Ryan Langerhans' single scored catcher Hank Conger with two outs in the top of the first inning, and that deficit grew to a pair of runs following Conger's RBI-double in the third.
Outfielder Mike Wilson looked to turn the tide in favor of Tacoma in the bottom of the fifth after belting a two-out solo home run to left field that cut Salt Lake's lead down to just one run.
Carlos Peguero helped bring the Rainiers within a score again in the bottom of the seventh after Kole Calhoun's sacrifice fly stretched the Bees lead back to two runs earlier in the inning. The outfielder Peguero led off the frame with a triple and eventually scored on a Luis Jimenez ground out, but Tacoma mustered just one more hit in the Opening Day defeat.
Rainiers starter Matt Fox (0-1, 3.00) was dealt the loss in his first outing with Tacoma after joining the Mariners organization as a minor league free agent this offseason. The right-hander surrendered a pair of runs, one earned, on five hits over three innings with four strikeouts.
Tacoma's relief corps of Cesar Jimenez, Josh Kinney and Sean Henn combined to hold the Bees to just one run and three hits and fanned eight over six innings of action out of the bullpen.
Salt Lake's Garrett Richards earned the win in his Triple-A debut, with the right-hander limiting the Rainiers to two runs on four hits and seven strikeouts over seven innings
The Rainiers continue their seasoning-opening homestand on Friday, April 6 at 7:05 p.m. when the club takes the field for the second game of a four-game series with Salt Lake. Right-handed starter Jeff Marquez is set to make his Rainiers debut in the outing against Bees right-hander Matt Shoemaker.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2012 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email email@example.com. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter ( @RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 6, 2012
- Z's Walk off on 12th Inning Error - New Orleans Zephyrs
- RedHawks Take Friday Night Win, 12-3 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Storm Chasers Fall to the Isotopes, 5-2, on Friday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Drop Extra-Inning Affair in New Orleans, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes Power to First Win, 5-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express Even Series at Iowa 4-3 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers S.H.I.E.L.D. Night - Tacoma Rainiers
- Esmailin Caridad Added to I-Cubs Roster - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - April 6, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Iowa Cubs - Round Rock Express
- Storm Chasers Beat the Isotopes, 8-4, on Opening Night - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Season Opener to Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Take Season-Opener Over Las Vegas, 11-6 - Sacramento River Cats
- Padres Still Looking for First Run of 2012 - Tucson Padres
- Aces Roll to Season-Opening Victory Over Sky Sox, 5-2 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.