Special Teams Help Stockton to 1-0 Series LeadApril 4, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Colorado Eagles
As advertised, the opening period between the two teams featured plenty of high-tempo, back-and-forth action with plenty of offensive chances. But despite a combined 26 shots (14 for Stockton), just one puck found its way into the back of the net as both goaltenders were solid. Garet Hunt accounted for that goal by back-handing his own rebound over Kyle Jones at 3:10.
The Thunder out-shot the Eagles 17-8 in the second period and doubled their lead midway through with a shorthanded tally on a 2-on-1 rush. It was actually their second such rush in succession on the penalty kill, and Jesse Fratkin was able to cash in when he snapped a shot past Jones from the left circle.
Stockton made it 3-0 four and a half minutes into the final frame when an un-checked Chris D'Alvise was able to put home a Max Campbell rebound from the doorstep on a power play. Colorado finally got on the board just over six minutes in when Aaron Slattengren was able to deposit a Jason Beatty rebound.
Just minutes later, Beatty came close to netting his own goal, but his shot from the point rang off the crossbar, and that was as close as Colorado would come to getting another puck past Roy on the night.
Game 2 of the series will take place in Stockton Wednesday night, and then the teams will travel to Colorado for Game 3 on Friday. If necessary, Games 4 & 5 will be played on Saturday & Monday respectively.
ECHL Stories from April 4, 2012
- Reign Even Series with 4-3 Overtime Win - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Storms Back for OT Win, 2-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Hold on for Win Over Elmira in Game Two, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Nailers, Wings Split First Two Games - Wheeling Nailers
- Everblades Take 2-0 Lead in Series with 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Road Warriors Beaten In Game Two - Greenville Road Warriors
- Jackals Battle But Fall in Game 2 - Elmira Jackals
- Third Period Surge Evens Up Series For Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Slip Past Stingrays in Game Two - South Carolina Stingrays
- Haddad Leads Third Period Comeback in 3-2 Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - April 4 - ECHL
- Game Preview (game 2): Stockton Thunder (#5) Vs. Colorado Eagles - Stockton Thunder
- Colorado's Schneekloth Named 2011-12 ECHL Defenseman of the Year - Colorado Eagles
- Colorado's Schneekloth Named 2011-12 ECHL Defenseman of the Year - ECHL
- Reign Playoff Watch Party Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Blades Pitt Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Rookie of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Ryder Is the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Florida's Pitt Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Reading's Urban is AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Denny Urban AMI Graphics ECHL Plus-Performer of Month - Reading Royals
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Elmira at Reading - Elmira Jackals
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - April 4, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Stewart Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Elmira Jackals
- Elmira's Stewart Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Kalamazoo's Sirota Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- K-Wings Sirota Named Reebok Hockey Player of the Month - Kalamazoo Wings
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Host Gladiators for Game Two Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 4 - ECHL
- Thunder takes 1-0 series lead to open Kelly Cup Playoffs - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Drop First Playoff Game in Idaho, 3-2 - Ontario Reign
- Las Vegas Wranglers Win 3-2, Sweep Grizzlies on the Road - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2: Face 0-2 Deficit - Utah Grizzlies
- Special Teams Help Stockton to 1-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.