Crew Signs Left Back Nemanja VukovicMarch 21, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Columbus Crew
Vukovic was impressive on trial over the course of the last two weeks of the Crew's preseason in Charleston, S.C., and Columbus, during which he appeared in three matches.
"Nemanja is a quality, experienced left-footed player and we are very happy to add him to our roster," said Crew head coach Robert Warzycha. "He makes good passes out of the back, hits good crosses and has good timing when joining the attack."
A 6-2 native of Podgorica, Montenegro, who will turn 28 on April 13, Vukovic most recently played for OFK Grbalj of the Montenegro First League, where he appeared in 12 matches and scored two goals.
Vukovic began his professional career in 2003 with FK Kom, a First League team based in his hometown of Podgorica. He spent one season at Kom, appearing in 10 matches, before transferring across town to FK Buducnost Podgorica, also in the First League. He spent the bulk of his career at Buducnost, where he appeared in 36 matches and tallied three goals from 2005 to 2009.
Following the 2008-09 season, he transferred to Greek second-division side Panaitolikos where he scored twice in 29 appearances between 2009 and 2011 and helped the club earn promotion to the Greek Super League at the end of his tenure.
Founded by American sports pioneer Lamar Hunt, the Columbus Crew is Ohio's Major League Soccer club, anchoring a diverse sports and entertainment enterprise. One of the league's Charter Members, it won its first MLS Cup championship in 2008 and has also won the 2002 U.S. Open Cup and MLS Supporters' Shield titles in 2004, 2008 and 2009. It opened its 17th season on March 10 at Colorado and kicks off its 14th at first-of-its-kind Crew Stadium this Saturday, March 24, against the Montreal Impact.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 21, 2012
- Sporting Kansas City Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes -- March 23 at Seattle Sounders - Houston Dynamo
- Zarek Valentin to play the U23 Olympic qualifying tournament with US - Montreal Impact
- Crew News & Notes: First Kick 2012 this Saturday at Crew Stadium at 4 P.M. - Columbus Crew
- Chivas USA's Jorge VillafaÃ±a Named to United States Olympic Qualifying Roster - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo to Host Liga BBVA's Valencia C.F. at BBVA Compass Stadium on May 31 - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers to Play Host to Spain's Valencia CF in May 23 Exhibition - Portland Timbers
- Crew Signs Left Back Nemanja Vukovic - Columbus Crew
- Toronto FC Sign Efrain Burgos Jr. - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.