Vancouver Giants Goaltender Adam Morrison Signs with Boston BruinsMarch 15, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) - Vancouver Giants
The Vancouver Giants acquired the White Rock, BC native October 4, 2011 from Saskatoon after 3 years with the Blades. This year has been his first season as a full time starter in the WHL.
"It's pretty amazing", said Morrison who turned 21 years old on February 9. "It's a dream come true. I know I still have work to do now that they have committed to me for the next 3 years, but it is exciting in the sense that I'm joining an organization with a winning tradition and a rich history in the NHL. I'm looking forward to the opportunity."
"Adam has been an integral part of our success this season, especially when we lost our coach and three best players to the world junior championships", said Executive Vice-President and General Manager Scott Bonner. "He added a mature presence to our room which is very hard to find in the WHL and we are very excited to see him earn this opportunity with the Boston Bruins."
Morrison was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 3rd round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft; however, was never signed. He officially became a free agent following last year's NHL draft and with the season he has had thus far, proven he is worthy of a contract with the Bruins.
"It was long process and it does take a toll on you", said Morrison. "You try your best not to let it distract you, but at the same time it is your future being put in front of you. I was very fortunate to come to the Vancouver Giants. Don Hay and Scott Bonner have given me the best opportunity I have ever received in junior hockey and they have supported me and helped me through my rough patches and I owe them quite a bit. It's nice to have the contract behind me and I can focus on the playoffs."
Morrison is the second 20 year old from the WHL to sign a free agent contract this year. Tri-City Americans forward Brendan Shinnimin signed with the Phoenix Coyotes.
Western Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2012
- Game Worn Bruton Jersey up for Auction - Spokane Chiefs
- Oil Kings Chasing History - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Vancouver Giants Goaltender Adam Morrison Signs with Boston Bruins - Vancouver Giants
- Royals' Regular Season Finale Sold out - Victoria Royals
- WHL this Week: Looking Ahead - WHL
- Kozun up for Remainder of Season - Kamloops Blazers
- Fan Appreciation Night Friday Vs Cougars - Kamloops Blazers
- Vancouver Giants Weekend Preview - Vancouver Giants
- Saturday Is Awards Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Warriors Win OT Shootout - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Gow's Goal Wins It - Spokane Chiefs
- Silvertips Fall Short in Kelowna - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Edge Winterhawks - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.