Devils Rally But Lose in ShootoutMarch 9, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Albany Devils
Keith Kinkaid tied a season high with 37 saves, including 11 in the first and third periods and 14 in the second. He kept the Devils within reach for the first 59 minutes.
Then during the final seconds of regulation and trailing, 1-0, Steve Zalewski sent the game into overtime with his team-leading 15th goal of the season. Stephen Gionta, who received a pass from Peter Harrold, took a shot, which was knocked down in front of the net. The puck ended up at Zalewski's feet for the goal with 35.7 seconds remaining.
A scoreless overtime, led to the shootout. Mattias Tedenby and Matt Anderson scored for Albany, but Kyle Palmieri, Peter Holland and Jean-Francois Jacques combined for the winning combination.
Holland was responsible for Syracuse's lone regulation goal. He picked a corner over Kinkaid's left shoulder at 8:49 of the second period.
Defensively, Syracuse was led by goaltender Iiro Tarkki's 30 saves. Tarkki helped eliminate a four-minute Devils power play at the end of the second period and at the beginning of the third. During the man advantage, Anderson struck the cross bar and Vladimir Zharkov was robbed on a one-timer as time expired in the second frame.
The loss moves the Devils to 27-22-6-4, while the Crunch improve to 25-26-4-4.
Before Sunday's game in Syracuse, the Devils travel to Adirondack Saturday for a 7 p.m. match-up. The contest is the eighth meeting of the Time Warner Cable Cup series. Fans can follow the action on ahllive.com.
American Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2012
- Three-Game Win Steak Comes to An End in Fifth Straight Extra-Time Decision - Lake Erie Monsters
- Sceviour Pushes Stars Past Rampage 4-3 in OT - Texas Stars
- Whale Capture SO Win over Bridgeport - Connecticut Whale
- Zats the Way - Manchester Monarchs
- Pirates Fall Short in Milestone Game - Portland Pirates
- Amerks Down B-Sens for Fifth Straight Home Win - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Victorious in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop 5-0 Decision to Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceCaps trounce Bears - St. John's IceCaps
- P-Bruins Fall to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Six Sharks Score in 6-4 Home Win Over Pirates - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Rally But Lose in Shootout - Albany Devils
- Falcons Shut out by Monarchs 3-0 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Invade North Country - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Fall to Amerks, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Johnson's Pair of Goals Lead Admirals to 13th Straight Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Recap: Penguins Defeat Bruins in the Shootout - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Whale Beats Sound Tigers 4-3 in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Win Big Over Bears in First-Ever Meeting - Hershey Bears
- Forward Marcus Foligno Recalled from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Ducks Recall O'Marra - Syracuse Crunch
- Super Bowl XLVI Champion Mark Herzlich to Headline New Era Cap Crunch vs. Cancer Game - Syracuse Crunch
- Canadiens Recall Louis Leblanc from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Watt Recalled from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Preview - San Antonio at Texas - Texas Stars
- Gilbert Recalled from Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Detroit Recalls Andersson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Take 12-Game Winning Streak on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Announce Details of $10 Wednesday Presented by Warehouse Carpet Outlets - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Headed to Manchester Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Vs Rivermen Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Tonight's Devils Game Televised Locally - Albany Devils
- Preview: IceCaps Vs. Bears - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.