Express Acquire Anthony Maiani from South CarolinaDecember 31, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) Chicago Express
Maiani, 22, joins the Express after appearing in 23 games with the South Carolina Stingrays and one game with the Colorado Eagles this season. He has seven points (2g, 5a) in his 24 games this season, along with eight PIM. The Shelby Township, MI, native also played one game for the Wheeling Nailers last year, scoring his first professional goal in that contest.
The 5-8, 165 pound forward spent his college career with the University of Denver alongside current Express forward Kyle Ostrow. Maiani played 158 games with Denver, registering 34 goals and 92 assists for 126 points. His best season came as a sophomore, when he lead the team in both points (41) and assists (30). Maiani won the WCHA Championship in 2007-08, and was selected to the WCHA Third All-Star Team in 2008-09. He was also a member of the WCHA All-Academic Team in 2010-11. Maiani skated two season with the Sioux City Musketeers in the USHL prior to attending the University of Denver, where he tallied 72 points in 116 games.
Tyler Johnson was placed on 45-day suspension by the Express on December 7. He had three goals, three assists, and eight PIM in 20 games with Chicago.
Thomas, 21, has been assigned to the Chicago Express from the Springfield Falcons of the AHL. The 6-1, 204 pound forward has registered one goal and three assists in 21 games with Springfield this season. Thomas is in his rookie season following a five-year career in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), all with the Saint John Sea Dogs. The New Maryland, New Brunswick, native served as the captain of his team for two straight seasons (2009-2011), and last year he won the QMJHL along with the Memorial Cup.
Chicago is back at the Sears Centre tomorrow, January 1.
ECHL Stories from December 31, 2011
- The Express Fall 3-2 to Greenville in Overtime on New Year's Eve - Chicago Express
- Las Vegas Spoils New Year's Party in Idaho - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Finish Calendar Year 2011 with Win in Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- Wranglers Cap 2011 with 5-2 Win Over Idaho - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bakersfield Uses 3rd Period to Beat Exhausted Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Road Warriors Ring In New Year In Dramatic Fashion - Greenville Road Warriors
- Nailers' Penalty Kill Completes Perfect Week - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield rings in the New Year with a 4-1 win in Utah - Bakersfield Condors
- K-Wings Dominate Walleye 7-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Fall to Everblades to Wrap up 2011 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Shootout-Savvy Jackals Take Over First Place in Conference - Elmira Jackals
- Nailers Game Preview: Reading Vs. Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Goalie Bryan Hince Signed by Road Warriors - Greenville Road Warriors
- ECHL Transactions - December 31 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Greenville Tonight - Chicago Express
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - December 31, 2011 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Trade Maiani to Chicago for Johnson - South Carolina Stingrays
- Express Acquire Anthony Maiani from South Carolina - Chicago Express
- McCollum to Grand Rapids - Toledo Walleye
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Trenton - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - December 31 - ECHL
- Stingrays Gameday: First Robotics Night Presented by Google Tonight Vs. Everblades - South Carolina Stingrays
- 6,096 turn out for Dallas Braden appearance, Thunder snap regulation losing skid - Stockton Thunder
- Aces, Courchaine Ground Eagles 4-0 - Alaska Aces
- Reign Triumph Over Thunder in Shootout, 4-3 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.