Markstrom Boosts Rampage to 4-1 Victory Over CheckersDecember 11, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) San Antonio Rampage
Defenseman Tyson Strachan put the Rampage ahead 1-0 at the 3:19 mark of the initial frame with a shot from the point that floated past the right shoulder of Charlotte goaltender Justin Peters. Right wing Michal Repik and center Bracken Kearns received the assists on Strachan's first marker of the 2011-12 campaign.
San Antonio extended their lead to 2-0 three and a half minutes later when forward Greg Rallo put home the rebound of an Evgenii Dadonov shot for his sixth goal of the season. Dadonov carried the puck through the Checkers zone and threw a shot on net that went off of Peters and caromed out to Rallo, who deposited the puck into the left side of the net for the score.
The Rampage went up 3-0 on a goal from center Scott Timmins right before the first frame ended. Timmins took a pass through the slot from left wing Evan Barlow and beat an out-of-position Peters for his fourth tally of the season. Forward David Marshall picked up his sixth point of the year with the secondary helper on the play.
A power-play goal from Kearns just past the midway point of the second period gave San Antonio a 4-0 advantage. Stationed near the right circle, Kearns deflected a pass from Repik to lift the puck up and over Peters' blocker for his ninth goal of the season. Defenseman Colby Robak notched the secondary assist on the Kearns goal.
Charlotte right wing Jared Staal scored a power-play goal with less than a minute remaining in the third period when he deflected a point shot from defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti past Markstrom. Left wing Justin Soryal also assisted on Staal's second goal of the year.
Markstrom picked up his third win of the year in the Rampage victory while Peters turned aside 19 of 23 San Antonio shots in the Charlotte loss.
San Antonio (12-14-0-0) is back in action on Friday night for a 7 p.m. (CST) contest against the Rochester Americans at the AT&T Center.
American Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2011
- Aeros Drop One to Peoria in Shootout - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Down Aeros in Shootout - Peoria Rivermen
- Admirals Get by Hogs 5-4 - Milwaukee Admirals
- I Am Legein - Manchester Monarchs
- Rockford Snags a Point in Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Power Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Four-Goal First Helps Bears Blitz Admirals - Hershey Bears
- Markstrom Boosts Rampage to 4-1 Victory Over Checkers - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Drop 3-1 Decision to Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- P-Bruins Defeat Whale 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Skate Past Griffins, 3-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Stymied in San Antonio - Charlotte Checkers
- Whale Tipped by Bruins - Connecticut Whale
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Comeback Beats Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Amerks Fall to Hamilton by 2-1 Score - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Dominate Sound Tigers 5-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Overtake Americans for 2-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Power Past Sound Tigers 5-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks WINgels Again in St. John's - Worcester Sharks
- AHL Announces Willsie Suspension - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros Game Day, December 11: Aeros Vs. Peoria - Houston Aeros
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- 'Canes Recall Drayson Bowman from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Flames Announce a Trio of Player Moves - Abbotsford Heat
- P-Bruins Sign Rookie Blue Liner - Providence Bruins
- Abbotsford Defeats Monsters to Sweep Season Series on Saturday - Lake Erie Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.