Loons Win 4-3 in Ninth Inning ThrillerJune 2, 2011 - Midwest League (MWL) Burlington Bees
The Bees jumped on top in the third inning with an unearned run. SS Wade Kirkland (2-4) singled and went to second base on a throwing error. CF Tyreace House (1-3) hit a sacrifice bunt to move Kirkland to third base. He scored on a groundout by C John Nester (1-4) for a 1-0 lead.
The Loons scored an unearned run in the third inning against Burlington RHP Tyler Vail. 3B Christian Lara (1-3) singled and went to second base on an error. A wild pitch by Vail moved Lara to third base and a sacrifice fly by 2B Bryant Hernandez (0-1) scored Lara to tie the score at 1-1.
Burlington pushed across two runs in the fourth inning to take a 3-1 lead. 2B Nino Leyja (1-4) doubled and moved to third base on a single by 3B Tony Thompson (1-3). A wild pitch by Great Lakes starter Bret Montgomery scored Leyja. Thompson scored on an RBI single by Kirkland.
Vail pitched five and two-thirds innings and allowed one unearned run on one hit. He walked just one and struck out six.
The Bees head to Lansing to take on the Lansing Lugnuts, the Midwest League affiliate of the Blue Jays on Friday night at 6:05 p.m. RHP Jose Macias (1-0, 0.62) gets the start for the Burlington Bees against the LHP Sean Nolin (1-1, 2.61) for the Lugnuts. Pre-game coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. on Newsradio 1490 and online on gobees.com.
2011 Bees tickets are on sale now! To purchase season tickets, bonus books or single-game tickets, please give the Bees a call at (319) 754-5705, go online to www.gobees.com, or stop by the box office at Community Field during normal business hours.
Midwest League Stories from June 2, 2011
- LumberKings Hold off Fort Wayne 9-8 - Clinton LumberKings
- Well Dunn: Rattlers Beat Hot Rods 6-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Walk off with the Series Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinton Outlasts TinCaps, 9-8 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fitzgerald Error Lifts Lugs In 9th, 4-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Swept By River Bandits - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Double Up Beloit 4-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Win 4-3 in Ninth Inning Thriller - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Pound Out 20 Hits in 11-5 Win Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Ripple Whitecaps - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Jones Blasts Cougars Past Captains - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Avoid Sweep, Beat Captains 4-2 - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits Unveil All-Star Week Events - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Barnhart, Hayes Selected as Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Former LumberKing Maikel Cleto Called up to St. Louis - Clinton LumberKings
- Braun Returns to Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Big innings let Silver Hawks sink Kernels, 8-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Wins on School Day at the Cove - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons MVPs to Celebrate at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for Thursday, June 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Announced for Donald Driver Softball Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Fight Back Against Cancer - Burlington Bees
- Kernels Come From Behind To Edge South Bend, 8-7 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.