Cougars Avoid Sweep, Beat Captains 4-2June 2, 2011 - Midwest League (MWL) Lake County Captains
Giovanny Urshela hit his sixth homerun of the season to lead off the bottom of the fourth inning, the solo shot game the Captains a 1-0 lead.
Kane County tied the game up at 1-1 in the top of the fifth inning with a sacrifice fly by Yowill Espinal that scored Geulin Beltre.
The Cougars took their first lead of the night in the fifth. Cheslor Cuthbert drove in a run with his second single of the game scoring Ryan Stovall to make it 2-1.
Lake County's Anthony Gallas reached on a two base error by pitcher Jason Adam. Jesus Aguilar drove in his team high 34th RBI to tie the game at 2-2.
Dwight Childs crushed a solo homerun to leftfield, his first of the season to cut the lead in half at 3-2, but it was not enough for the Captains.
Mitch Hodge (1-0) picked up the win working two innings in relief, allowing just three hits and striking out two. Chas Byrne picked up his third save of the season working ninth giving up a run, on one hit. Nick Sarianides (3-3) suffered the loss allowing two runs, on just one hit, hitting a batter and striking out one.
Lake County will welcome in Clinton to Classic Park for a rematch of last year's championship series on Friday night at 7:00PM. The Captains will start RHP Kyle Blair (3-3) against RHP Jandy Sena (2-2) for the Lunberkings. Catch all the action on AM 1330 WELW or online at captainsbaseball.com.
Friday is a Fireworks Friday as fans will enjoy a post-game fireworks extravaganza presented by Larmco Windows and Siding. WWE Superstar Sgt. Slaughter will be live and in-person as well and he will be participating in several events during the evening and will also be available for autographs. The Captains will host its first themed-jersey auction following the game. Fans can bid on the camouflage jerseys that the players will wear that night with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Captains Charities.
Saturday is a Saturday Fireworks night presented by Monreal Funeral Home and Cremation Service. The first 1,500 fans will receive a Replica Championship Trophy presented by Lake Health and ESPN 850 WKNR. This great looking piece is a desk top sized trophy based on the actual trophy presented to the Captains after the franchise's 2010 Midwest League title.
Midwest League Stories from June 2, 2011
- LumberKings Hold off Fort Wayne 9-8 - Clinton LumberKings
- Well Dunn: Rattlers Beat Hot Rods 6-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Walk off with the Series Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinton Outlasts TinCaps, 9-8 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fitzgerald Error Lifts Lugs In 9th, 4-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Swept By River Bandits - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Double Up Beloit 4-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Win 4-3 in Ninth Inning Thriller - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Pound Out 20 Hits in 11-5 Win Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Ripple Whitecaps - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Jones Blasts Cougars Past Captains - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Avoid Sweep, Beat Captains 4-2 - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits Unveil All-Star Week Events - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Barnhart, Hayes Selected as Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Former LumberKing Maikel Cleto Called up to St. Louis - Clinton LumberKings
- Braun Returns to Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Big innings let Silver Hawks sink Kernels, 8-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Wins on School Day at the Cove - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons MVPs to Celebrate at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for Thursday, June 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Announced for Donald Driver Softball Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Fight Back Against Cancer - Burlington Bees
- Kernels Come From Behind To Edge South Bend, 8-7 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.