Buente Stays Hot, Leading Zephyrs Past RedbirdsMay 4, 2011 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) - New Orleans Zephyrs Press Release
Buente (1-0) allowed just three hits and one walk while striking out four in running his consecutive scoreless inning streak to 14, dating to the fifth inning iof his April 23 start at Albuquerque. Buente lowered his ERA to a Pacific Coast League-leading 1.35.
Without the help of a couple of miscues from the Redbirds, however, Buente might not have picked up his first win of the season. In the second inning, center fielder Adron Chambers dropped a routing fly ball, allowing Jesus Merchan to reach second base. After Buente laid down a sacrifice bunt, Mike Cervenak delivered an RBI double to the wall in right field, putting the Zephyrs ahead 1-0.
Still nursing a one-run lead in the seventh, Cervenak doubled again with one out, and moved to third on a ground out. Redbirds reliever Cory Rauschenberger then threw a wild pitch, allowing Cervenak to score an insurance run.
Victor Garate pitched a scoreless eighth for the Zephyrs, and Jose Ceda picked up his league-leading eighth save of the year.
12 of the Zephyrs' 14 victories this season have come by two runs or fewer.
Memphis starter Adam Ottavino (0-2) was the hard-luck loser, going six strong innings and surrendering just one unearned run. He allowed four hits while striking out five and walking four.
Both of Ottavino's losses have come against New Orleans, also coming up on the losing end on April 11. In each game, Ottavino lost a 2-0 decision without allowing an earned run.
The Zephyrs return to action Thursday night for final game of the eight-game homestand, when they play the series finale against the Redbirds at 7:00 p.m. Dallas Trahern (2-0, 5.24) takes the mound for the Z's against P.J. Walters (0-3, 5.93).
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 4, 2011
- Locke Walk-Off Home Run Secures Series - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Lose on 10th-Inning Walkoff Homer - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express Fall to Iowa Cubs 3-1 - Round Rock Express
- Ortiz' Gem Leads Iowa to Victory, 3-1 - Iowa Cubs
- Padres Select INF Logan Forsythe from Triple-A Tucson - Tucson Padres
- Celebrity Softball Rosters Taking Shape - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RHP Mark Lowe Recalled from Round Rock; RHP Pedro Strop Optioned to Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- IF Oswaldo Navarro on DL, Joe Inglett Joins Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Iowa Cubs - Round Rock Express
- Sky Sox Drop Afternoon Affair to Grizzlies 4-3 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Buente Stays Hot, Leading Zephyrs Past Redbirds - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Round Rock Express Announce TV Package - Round Rock Express
- Bees to Pack the Park Pink on Saturday, May 7 - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Introduce Partnerships for the 2011 Season - Memphis Redbirds
- Homers Power Padres - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Trumped by Tucson, 5-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Las Vegas Walks-Off with 7-6 Win Over Reno - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Surge Past 'Topes 7-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.