Crunch Iced by Adirondack, 5-2January 16, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Syracuse Crunch
The Crunch came out looking to build on last night's win against Rochester and got on the board first at the 8:02 mark of the first. Palmieri skated in down the left wing and took a shot that hit off the glove of Johan Backlund, nicked the post and dropped into the crease. Bonino, rushing the net, found the loose puck and slammed it in to give Syracuse the 1-0.
Just over one minute later, however, Adirondack answered right back when Kevin Marshall's point shot found its way through a screen past J.P. Levasseur to make it a 1-1 game.
The score stayed that way until late in the second, when Adirondack scored two quick goals just over two minutes apart to take control of the game.
The first tally came off the stick of former Crunch winger Stefan Legein, whose slapper from the right side deflected off the stick of the Crunch defenseman and past Levasseur at the 16:59 mark. The Phantoms took a 3-1 lead shortly thereafter, when Luke Pither found the rebound of a Denis Hamel slapper in the slot and roofed it over Levasseur's shoulder.
The Crunch fought back to make it interesting when Palmieri picked up the puck off the back boards after Mat Clark's shot sailed wide and banked it in off Backlund from behind the goal line to cut it to 3-2 with just under six minutes to play in regulation.
Hopes of a Crunch comeback were dashed though, when former Crunch center Rob Bordson added his second of the season at the 16:56 mark, and Ben Holmstrom slid a backhand into an empty net just over two minutes later.
CRUNCHABLES: Palmieri has three points (1g, 2a) over his last two games.Josh Green has 13 shots on goal over the last two games.The Crunch have now lost all four meetings against Adirondack this season.Four of the Phantoms' 12 wins this year have come against the Crunch.
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2011
- Whale Tops AHL's Best 6-3 - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Edge Bears 2-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Second-Period Charge Leads Admirals Over Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Ground Aeros, 3-2 in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Scared Away by Monsters in 6-4 Loss; Drop Fourth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Take Over Second Place with 4-2 Victory at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Senators Slide Past Bears 2-1 Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Take Sole Possession of Third Place with Shootout Point - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Bruins Assign Bartkowski to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Halt Rampage, 5-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Iced by Adirondack, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Offense Lights it Up with Season-High 5 Goals - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fire 45 Shots in 2-0 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Sink Sharks 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Halsichuk, Thuresson Switch Spots - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Fall in Shootout 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Falcons Lose to Pirates 4-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Out-Distance Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Recall Maclean from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Blues Return Ian Cole to Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Netminder Pasquale Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Preview: Aeros, Griffins Collide at 4 P.M. - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Sign Forward Andrew Sweetland - Binghamton Senators
- Game Night: Amerks, Monsters Square off Again Tonight at Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Senators Recall Goaltender Mike Brodeur from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.