Heat Cool-Off Griffins in ShootoutOctober 8, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) Grand Rapids Griffins
The Griffins held a 2-1 lead from late in the first period until the waning minutes of regulation, when a disputed cross-checking call against veteran defenseman Derek Meech gave Abbotsford a power play that it converted with 1:19 remaining. After a five-minute overtime, the Heat prevailed in the shootout by a 3-1 count to claim the victory.
Grand Rapids, which earned at least one point in its season opener for the eighth consecutive year (5-0-2-1), will look to push its point streak in road openers (9-0-2-0) to 12 seasons on Sunday in a 5:05 p.m. EDT tilt against the Rockford IceHogs.
Defenseman Brendan Smith, a first-round draft pick of the Detroit Red Wings in 2007, scored his first goal just 3:09 into his pro career. The 2010 Hobey Baker Award finalist from the University of Wisconsin took a feed from Ilari Filppula and beat Leland Irving with a wrist shot from between the circles.
Abbotsford pulled even at the 10:56 mark of the period. Joey MacDonald thought he had the puck covered at his left post for a whistle, but the Heat kept whacking away until Carter Bancks' poke put the puck just over the goal line.
The Griffins did their own net-crashing to regain the lead on a power play goal by Jamie Johnson with 2:51 remaining in the frame, as he stormed the crease to slip the puck under a sprawled Irving. Filppula earned an assist for his second point of the night.
Following a scoreless second period, the Griffins had several chances to extend their advantage in the third, but Irving made a huge pad save on Tomas Tatar with 7:30 left plus several other big stops to keep the Heat within striking distance. The Griffins penalty with 1:56 remaining gave Abbotsford a last-gasp chance that it would not squander, as Matt Keith took a pass from Jon Rheault out of the right corner and blasted a one-timer past MacDonald.
In the shootout, a Chris Minard slap shot briefly gave the Griffins a 1-0 advantage, but three straight goals by Rheault, Kris Chucko and Staffan Kronwall, combined with three consecutive stops by Irving, gave the Heat the win.
MacDonald turned aside 26 shots in his first game as a Griffin since Jan. 13, 2007, while Irving countered with 36 saves in the winning effort.
American Hockey League Stories from October 8, 2010
- Heat Cool-Off Griffins in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Edges Peoria in Season Opener - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Burst Into 2010-11 Season With Victory Over Adirondack - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Upended by Rampage, 6-3, in 17th Season Opener - Chicago Wolves
- Heat Ground Griffins 3-2 in Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
- P-Bruins Fall to Falcons in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Chad Johnson Making a Name for Himself - Connecticut Whale
- Monarchs Announce 2010-11 Roster - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms Fall at Senators - Adirondack Phantoms
- Crunch Fall to Lake Erie 3-2 in Season Opener - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack/Whale Notebook - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Impressive in Season Opener - Springfield Falcons
- Manitoba Kicks off Season with a Win - Manitoba Moose
- Monarchs Release Czarnik - Manchester Monarchs
- Aeros Announce Opening Roster - Houston Aeros
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- Pirates Set to Kick off 2010-11 Season - Portland Pirates
- Enhanced Arena Experience Awaits Griffins Fans - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks to Wear Original Stars and Stripes Opening Night - Rochester Americans
- Two Time Defending Calder Cup Champions Announce Opening Night Roster - Hershey Bears
- AHL Set to Kick off 75th Anniversary Season - AHL
- Pirates Announce 2010-11 Roster - Portland Pirates
- Canucks Assign Hodgson, Lack, & Sweatt to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Marlies Announce 2010-11 Opening Day Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Sign Clackson to ATO, Reynolds to PTO - Rochester Americans
- Ryan Keller Named B-Sens Captain for the 2010-11 Season - Binghamton Senators
- Pearce Departs for Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Joe Dipenta Named 12th Captain in Syracuse Crunch History - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Introduce iPhone App, Internet Toolbar and Digital Magazine - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Sign Four Players to Tryouts - Manchester Monarchs
- Checkers Announce Roster to Open 2010-11 Season - Charlotte Checkers
- B-Sens Announce Opening Night Roster - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Announce Opening Night Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Phantoms Roster Unveiled - Adirondack Phantoms
- AHL, PHPA Ratify New Collective Bargaining Agreement - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.