Chicago Fire Signs Defenders Kwame Watson-Siriboe and Steven KinneyMarch 15, 2010 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Chicago Fire
"We are pleased to add Kwame and Steven to the Fire family to help us bring a MLS Cup back to Chicago," said Fire Technical Director Frank Klopas.
Watson-Siriboe, 23, played four seasons at the University of Connecticut and was named 2009 Big East Co-Defender of the Year. The 6-3, 196-pound central defender played and started 19 games for the Huskies in 2009 while garnering First Team All-Big East honors. The Chino Hills, CA product represented the United States U-18 team that traveled to Argentina in 2004.
Kinney, a 6-0, 175-pound defender from Norcross, GA started in all 78 games he appeared in at Elon University, earning First Team All-Southern Conference three times during his four-year tenure. The, 22-year old becomes the first player in the history of the Elon program to be signed by a MLS club.
The Fire also announced today that it will not be extending an offer to second round draftee (29th overall) Drew Yates. The Severna Park, MD product has been released from camp.
Player: Kwame Watson-Siriboe
Height: 6'3" (1.90 m)
Weight: 196 lbs. (88 kg)
Born: November 13, 1986 in Chino Hills, CA
Hometown: Chino Hills, CA
Last Club: University of Connecticut
Pronunciation: KWAH-me Watson-sear-EE-bow
How Acquired: Selected 26th overall (2nd round) in 2010 SuperDraft
Player: Steven Kinney
Height: 6'0" (1.82 m)
Weight: 175 lbs. (79 kg)
Born: October 28, 1987 in Norcross, GA
Hometown: Norcross, GA
Last Club: Elon University
How Acquired: Selected 45th overall (3rd round) in 2010 SuperDraft
Major League Soccer Stories from March 15, 2010
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update: March 15, 2010 - Sporting Kansas City
- Kansas City Wizards Ink International Midfield Trio - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Weekly Update - New York Red Bulls
- More Than 55,000 Tickets Sold For Mexico vs. Iceland Match On March 24 In Charlotte - MLS
- Chicago Fire Signs Defenders Kwame Watson-Siriboe and Steven Kinney - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.