Sharks Solve Wolf Pack Riddle and Come From Behind, 6-4March 10, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) Worcester Sharks
Trevelyan, a Wolf Pack nemesis all season, now has five goals against Hartford, including two on the night. Captain Ryan Vesce added a goal and an assist for the Sharks while Danny Groulx had an empty-net goal and was a +4 on the evening.
The Sharks, who have had a tough time with the Wolf Pack this season, fell behind early. Hartford tallied first when Corey Potter (3) sent one through the glove of Frank Doyle from the right point. The lead did not last long though as Donald Brashear was sent off for hooking at the 7:48 mark. Worcester tied the game, 1-1, on the ensuing power play when Steven Zalewski (21) stuffed home a loose rebound in the crease. Zalewski's team-leading tally was assisted by Derek Joslin. Hartford regained the lead 14:16 into the period when Potter (4) scored his second of the game as he blasted one through traffic past Doyle. Brodie Dupont and Corey Locke assisted on the goal that put the Wolf Pack on top, 2-1. The teams headed to locker room with Hartford up by that same, 2-1, margin. The Sharks outshot the Wolf Pack, 11-10.
Hartford doubled their lead, 10:21 into the second period, when Locke found Dupont (13) at the top of the crease and he poked it home. However, the penalty box proved unkind once again for the Wolf Pack as they found themselves facing a 5-on-3 man advantage for Worcester. Although Hartford killed off one of the penalties, Vesce (12) took matters into his own hands and put his own rebound past Matt Zaba at the 14:32 mark to cut the Worcester deficit in half, 3-2. The period ended that way as the Wolf Pack controlled the shot total, 18-9.
Staring their fifth loss in a row at the hands of the Wolf Pack square in the face, the Sharks came out flying in the third period. At the 7:26 mark, Andrew Desjardins (14) took a pass in the slot from Dan DaSilva and beat Zaba to tie the game, 3-3. John McCarthy also assisted on the goal. The hottest player on the ice statistically, Trevelyan (20), gave Worcester their first lead of the game at the 9:30 mark as he sniped one low, blocker-side past Zaba off a feed from Kevin Henderson. Trailing 4-3, Hartford tied the game; 13:03 into the period, as Potter's shot was deflected past Doyle by Dale Weise (21). It would be the last time the game was tied though as Trevelyan (21) scored the eventual game-winner with just 1:45 left in regulation as he tipped home a hard Logan Couture pass into the back of the net. Groulx added a buzzer-beating, empty-net goal to cap the scoring and give Worcester the victory, 6-4. Hartford outshot Worcester, 10-7.
Worcester's record improves to 39-20-2-3 (83 points) and are currently in first place in the Atlantic Division, five points ahead of the idle Portland Pirates with 16 games remaining in the regular season.
Notes: Three Stars: (3) Ryan Vesce (1-1-2), (2) Corey Potter (2-1-2), (1) T.J. Trevelyan (2-0-2)... Joe Callahan and Tyson Sexsmith were the only injured scratches for Worcester...Frank Doyle made 34 saves for Worcester for his second win of the season...Matt Zaba made 20 saves in net for Hartford...Final shots were 38-26 in favor of the Wolf Pack...T.J. Trevelyan now has 13 goals in his last 17 games...Derek Joslin has a FOUR game point streak (1-4-5)...Ryan Vesce is 6-1-7 in six games since his return from injury...Nick Petrecki fought Justin Soryal in the second period for his seventh fighting major of his professional career...Kevin Henderson dropped the mitts with Jared Nightengale also in the second period...Worcester went 3-5 on the power play while Hartford went 0-4...Prior to the game, the Nichols College club hockey team, powered by Mark Cacciola's two goals, defeated the Worcester Junior Wildcats, 4-2, in the first round of the Worm Pot.
On Friday, the Sharks host the Binghamton Senators at 7:05 p.m. on Wellness Night! The Salter College will be providing free massages and other health care providers will be offering free screenings and information in the concourse. Purchase your Family Fun Pack today, which includes 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs & 4 sodas for only $65! Each addition person is just $16.25 per person. College students are just $9 when purchased at the Box Office the day of the game with a student ID! The game will be shown live on Charter TV3.
On Sunday, the Sharks host the Hershey Bears at 4:05p.m. on Faith and Family Night with a special pregame and in-game performance by the Worcester band Shades of Skin! It's the FINAL $5 Kids Sundays presented by Papa Gino's this season! Kids 12-and-under are just $5 with a purchase of an adult gold level ticket! With each complete purchase (along with the purchase of an adult gold level ticket) fans will receive a FREE X-Large cheese pizza coupon to be used at participating Papa Gino's locations. The $5 Kids Sunday ticket offer will only be available at the DCU Center Box Office on the day of the game.
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2010
- Admirals Slay Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Dumps Peoria 3-2 - Texas Stars
- 3-10-10 B-I-N-G-Oh No - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolf Pack Lose To Sharks 6-4 - Connecticut Whale
- Pens Down Rats 4-3 In Shootout - Albany River Rats
- B-Sens Dethrone Monarchs 5-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Sharks Solve Wolf Pack Riddle and Come From Behind, 6-4 - Worcester Sharks
- Oilers Recall Chris Minard From Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Release Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Marlies Sign Defenceman Simon Gysbers To ATO Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Mike Vernace Reassigned To Hamilton Bulldogs By Atlanta Thrashers - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Canadiens Loan Stewart To Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Bears Add Grant Lewis From Chicago Wolves - Hershey Bears
- B-Sens Sign Defenseman Neil Petruic - Binghamton Senators
- Milwaukee Brewers Sausages Headline Hammy's Birthday - Rockford IceHogs
- Adirondack Hockey Hall Of Fame Inductees To Sign Autographs Sunday - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs American Pride Night Nets Over $33,000 For Charity - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks And Knighthawks Raise Over $54,000 For CF Of Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Thrashers Recall Chelios - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Recalls Sifers, Reassigns Kalus - Houston Aeros
- 'Canes Agree To Terms With Defenseman Kyle Lawson - Albany River Rats
- Moose Loan Marty Murray To Admirals In Exchange For Peter Olvecky - Manitoba Moose
- Marty Murray Loaned To Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At Denny's - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign Four, Release Two - Norfolk Admirals
- Wolves Sign Simpson To SPC, Return Galivan To Gwinnett - Chicago Wolves
- Hurricanes Recall Oskar Osala From Albany - Albany River Rats
- AHL Announces Suspensions - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.