Salmon Kings Down Wranglers In OvertimeDecember 13, 2009 - ECHL (ECHL) Victoria Salmon Kings
The Wranglers would open the scoring in the game at the 17:27 mark on the power play when Chris Neiszner redirected a Mick Lawrence point shot through Fisher's legs. The Wranglers captain's third goal of the season stood as the lone tally of the opening frame as Las Vegas took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
The Salmon Kings knotted the game at the 3:30 mark of the second period when Olivier Filion lit the lamp, which ignited the downpour of teddy bears onto the ice. On a 2-on-1 shorthanded rush, Wes Goldie fed a pass to Filion, whose shot went over the right pad of Gistedt for his third goal of the season. Las Vegas regained the lead less than a minute later when a Ryan Weston shot deflected off a Salmon Kings defender's skate and into the net. Las Vegas extended their lead at 5:32 point to make it 3-1. While shorthanded, defensemen Robbie Bina drove into the Salmon Kings zone, cut into the slot from the left faceoff circle and scored on a quick wrist shot through Fisher's pads. Following the Wranglers third goal, David Shantz would take over between the pipes for Fisher. The Wranglers held a 3-1 lead after 40 minutes.
Victoria started the third period strong as they trimmed Las Vegas' lead to 3-2. Gistedt stopped a Patrick Coulombe wrist shot from inside the slot, but the rebound was smacked in on the backhand by Andy Brandt for his seventh goal of the campaign. The Salmon Kings would complete the comeback at the 11:51 mark of the third period when Wes Goldie skated into the Wranglers' zone 1-on-3. The Kings' captain skated in behind the Vegas' net and threw the puck into the slot area. The puck hit a Wranglers' player out in front and slid just over the line past the outstretched right leg of Gistedt. The Salmon Kings took their first lead of the game at 13:02 when Chad Painchaud scored his eighth goal of the season on a rebound from the right side of the net. Las Vegas would storm back a mere 37 seconds later when Wranglers' forward Ned Lukacevic moved from the right wing corner and charged into the slot firing a puck past Shantz. Lukacevic's goal was his sixth of the year, and sent the contest into overtime.
At 1:12 mark of overtime, Olivier Latendresse took the face-off to the right of Gistedt. The Salmon Kings' forward pushed the puck towards the Las Vegas net. Both Gistedt and Latendresse dove to poke check the puck, but Latendresse would get there first and poked the puck into the Wranglers' net. Latendresse's game-winner was his seventh tally of the season. Salmon Kings 5 Wranglers 4 in overtime.
Victoria went 0/50.0% on the power play, while Las Vegas was 1/520.0%. The Salmon Kings outshot the Wranglers 40-35.
The Salmon Kings continue their eight-game-stand next week as they play host to the Stockton Thunder for a three-game set with contests on Wednesday, December 16th, Friday, December 18th and Saturday, December 19th. Puck drop for all three games is 7:05 p.m. At next week's games, fans will be given the opportunity to have their Christmas photo taken with Marty the Marmot for just $5! All proceeds will go to the Mustard Seed with photos being taken by Japan Camera. For tickets, call 250-220-7777 or visit www.selectyourtickets.com.
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2009
- Another Aces Comeback Comes Up Just Shy - Alaska Aces
- Puska on Pucks Discusses H1N1, Features McRae - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Clarke's Two Goals Lead Wheeling Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals Battle Back To Earn Point - Elmira Jackals
- Pearce Stellar in Net; Walleye Win Third Straight, 2-1 Over Elmira Jackals - Toledo Walleye
- Kashirsky's Hat Trick And Ford's Shutout Give Stingrays 4-0 Victory Over Charlotte - South Carolina Stingrays
- Checkers Run Out Of Gas, Fall To Stingrays - Charlotte Checkers
- Royals Take Finale In Cincy, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Stumble Against Nailers - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Cyclones Five Game Win Streak Ends, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Put Winning Streak On The Line Against Charlotte Today - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Alaska Rally Falls One Goal Short - Alaska Aces
- Robinson's Two Goals Against Former Team Lifts Thunder To Fourth Straight Win - Stockton Thunder
- Regan's OT Goal Extends Condors Win Streak - Bakersfield Condors
- Salmon Kings Down Wranglers In Overtime - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Chiefs Felled By Gladiators - Johnstown Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.