OT Winner Caps Incredible ComebackOctober 17, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rochester Americans
Brine's shorthanded game-winner capped an incredible comeback for the Amerks who found themselves down 3-0 early in the opening frame. The Amerks rallied using four straight unanswered tallies, including two back-to-back shorthanded, to earn the win. The goal was the second shorthanded tally in as many nights for Brine, who presently leads the American Hockey League in that very category.
The Amerks were led offensively by second-year forward Michal Repik who supplied a pair of goals to take over the team lead in that category. Repik is now currently tied for first in the AHL with five goals. Kenndal McArdle chipped in with three assists as third-year netminder Tyler Plante backstopped Rochester with a season-high 40-save performance to pick up his second win between the pipes this season. His counterpart, Toronto's Adam Munro, would finish the game with 20 saves in the losing effort.
The Marlies took a 3-0 lead heading into the dressing room at the end of the first period with goals from Ryan Hamilton, Andre Deveaux and Alex Foster. Hamilton and Deveaux each converted on power play opportunities before Foster's first of the season a minute-and-a-half later put the hometown Marlies up by three. Toronto outshot Rochester 18-9 in the first period alone and 25-15 through the remainder of the contest, but was unable to score for the next 43:05 of the matchup thanks to Plante.
Repik quickly made it a 3-2 game, scoring two in the second period (his fourth and team-high fifth) within just over a minute of each other. McArdle picked up an assist on the back-to-back markers that put Rochester within one. Jason Garrison and Jamie Johnson each received assists on the goals, respectively.
Defenseman Clay Wilson put in the shorthanded equalizer in the closing minutes of the third period to force overtime and it was Brine's clincher, also on the man-down, that would complete the come-from-behind rally to give the Amerks the win.
Rochester returns to home ice on Wednesday, October 21st to host the Binghamton Senators at 7:05 p.m. at The Blue Cross Arena. The game features the return of goaltender Mike Brodeur, who signed with Ottawa during the offseason after playing the second half of last season with the Amerks. Fans can tune into the contest on SportsRadio 1280 WHTK and FM 107.3, Rochester's Sports Talk. The game will also be televised live on Time Warner SportsNet Channel 26.
American Hockey League Stories from October 17, 2009
- Monsters earn convincing win - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rivermen Can't Hold Off IceHogs - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins lose to Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage return home with victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Bulldogs bite Wolves - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves nipped by Bulldogs - Chicago Wolves
- Texas gets past Aeros - Texas Stars
- Hogs host big comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Bernier-Holloway Shake Things Up In The Jungle - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Beat The Wolf Pack 2-1 - Remain Perfect At Home 3-0 - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros Fall to Stars 5-1 - Houston Aeros
- Phantoms Earn Point With Late Goal In Front Of Sellout Crowd - Adirondack Phantoms
- Bears stun Sens in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Sharks fall to Devils in home opener - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose downed by Lake Erie - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Earn First Road Point of the Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rats Blast Phantoms In Overtime 2-1 - Albany River Rats
- Tokarski, Admirals Hand Sound Tigers First Loss Of Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Bernier Blanks Pirates - Portland Pirates
- OT Winner Caps Incredible Comeback - Rochester Americans
- Guite Reassigned To Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Sign Defenseman Kevin Roeder - Syracuse Crunch
- Kings Recall Moller - Manchester Monarchs
- Marlies Sign Goaltender Beau Erickson To PTO Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Announce 2009-10 Tv Schedule - Toronto Marlies
- Canucks Recall Alexandre Bolduc - Manitoba Moose
- Falcons Host The Wolf Pack Saturday Night - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros Defeat Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.