First Place Bears Head To Adirondack FridayOctober 12, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Hershey Bears
Following a three-game road trip to Adirondack, Binghamton and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, the BEARS will return home to face the Senators at Giant Center on Saturday, October 24. Tickets are available at the GIANT Center box office or by calling (717) 534-3911.
Holtby off to a great start: Goaltender Braden Holtby earned his first professional shutout Friday night, blanking the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 3-0 at Wachovia Arena. Holtby allowed just one goal in his first two starts in posting the first two wins of his young career. He carries a goals against average of 1.01 into the new week, and is tied for the AHL lead in victories.
Leader of the pack: Right wing Andrew Gordon leads the AHL in scoring after two weeks of the season. Gordon has four goals and eight points in just four games played to start 2009-10.
Practice schedule: HERSHEY will skate at GIANT Center Tuesday through Thursday at 10:00 a.m. for practice. The BEARS will depart for Glens Falls, NY immediately after practice on Thursday morning and be unavailable the rest of the week.
Giroux back on track: Through two games, left wing Alexandre Giroux had four assists but was held without a goal during that span. Making up for lost time, Giroux scored two goals in the first period Saturday at Binghamton, and also scored HERSHEY'S lone goal Sunday at home against Manchester. The reigning AHL most valuable player, Giroux scored a franchise record 60 goals last season en route to a Calder Cup championship. He is second on the team in scoring behind linemate Andrew Gordon.
Washington update: The Capitals will host the New Jersey Devils Monday night at Verizon Center to begin a busy week of action at home. San Jose makes an appearance in D.C this Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. before Nashville comes to call Saturday evening. Bruce Boudreau's team holds down first place in the Southeast Division at the start of the new week.
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2009
- Crunch Drop One to Americans 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Sign Goaltender Dan Tormey - Syracuse Crunch
- Blues Reassign Peluso to Alaska - Peoria Rivermen
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Hogs Complete Three-Game Swing With Two Wins - Rockford IceHogs
- Mauldin Leads Sound Tigers over Senators in Matinee - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Set Out on Three Game Road Trek - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Fall To Sound Tigers In Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Albany Completes Homestand; Set To Face-off With Adirondack in First TWCC Game - Albany River Rats
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Release Forward Tommy Goebel from PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- San Jose Sharks Recall Forward Steven Zalewski From Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Zweigle's And The Amerks Offer Red Hot Ticket Package - Rochester Americans
- Canadiens Assign Yannick Weber To The Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details of Supercuts Magnetic Schedule Giveaway - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Sends Neal To Idaho, Releases Straub - Texas Stars
- Bruce Bowen To Give Testimonial At Rampage Faith Night This Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Take On Crunch Tonight At The Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Pink At The Rink This Saturday Night - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Begin A New Legace Between The Pipes - Chicago Wolves
- Worcester Sharks return home in style ready for DCU opener - Worcester Sharks
- First Place Bears Head To Adirondack Friday - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.