Sounds Blanked By Express, 3-0July 10, 2009 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Nashville Sounds
Round Rock starter Polin Trinidad (1-0) earned his first Triple-A win after striking out five and allowing four hits over eight scoreless innings.
The Express loaded the bases in the top of the first inning, but Sounds starter Chris Cody induced a double play to Round Rock second baseman Edwin Maysonet to get out of the jam.
Round Rock took a 1-0 lead when Trinidad doubled home Chad Spann in the top of the second inning. Trinidad's double was his first Triple-A hit of his career.
Sounds second baseman Hernan Iribarren ended a no-hit bid in the bottom of the fifth, singling off Trinidad and extending his hitting streak to nine games.
The Express added another run in the top of the sixth inning. Yordany Ramirez reached base on a single, stole second base, and advanced to third on a Sounds throwing error. Jonathan Fixler then brought home Ramirez on an infield groundout, making the score 2-0.
Reggie Abercrombie doubled to centerfield to lead off the top of the seventh, and was brought home on a John Gall single that gave the Express a 3-0 advantage.
Angel Salome hit a leadoff single in the bottom of the seventh inning to start the rally for the Sounds, followed by Adam Heether reaching base on a fielding error by the Express. Trinidad then stranded both runners on base by retiring the next three Sounds in order to get out of the jam.
Cody (3-4) picked up the tough loss after throwing his fourth quality start for the Sounds, allowing one earned run on six hits with five strikeouts in six innings of work.
Chad Paronto picked up his 15th save of the season in the Express win.
The Sounds and Express will play the third game of a five-game series at 6:00 pm CT on Saturday night. Left-hander Lindsay Gulin (4-5, 5.00) takes the hill against Round Rock right-hander Bud Norris (3-7, 2.45). Postgame fireworks will follow the action on the field.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 10, 2009
- Rainiers Edge Beavers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers Move into Third Place Ahead of Beavers in Pacific Northern Division - Portland Beavers
- Z's Top Royals 6-2 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sounds Blanked By Express, 3-0 - Nashville Sounds
- Birds Silence Topes in Shutout - Memphis Redbirds
- More details announced for Triple-A All-Star Game - Portland Beavers
- Royals back at the 'Blatt July 16 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Game Notes for July 10 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Drop Heartbreaker, 5-4 - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Make Saunders' Blast Stand, Win 5-3 - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.