Pittsburgh Penguins Sign Forward Casey Pierro-ZabotelMay 5, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Zabotel, 20, led the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League with 115 points (36 goals, 79 assists) along with a plus-62 rating in 72 contests this season. He was awarded the Bob Clarke Trophy as the leading scorer in the WHL with 115 points and was named the WHL Western Conference Player of the Year.
The 6-2, 210 pound winger set team records for the Giants in assists (79) and points (115) and was also named team MVP for the 2008-09 season. He notched 17 points (four goals, 13 assists) in 17 playoff appearances this season. Zabotel played two seasons of major junior hockey with Vancouver tallying 163 points (55 goals, 108 assists) in 121 games. He contributed 23 points in 27 playoff contests for Vancouver.
Prior to joining Vancouver, the native of Kamloops, British Columbia played three seasons with the Merritt Centennials of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL). Zabotel tallied 183 points (77 goals, 106 assists) and 90 penalty minutes in 173 games in the BCHL.
Zabotel was selected by the Pittsburgh in the third round (80th overall) of the 2007 Entry Draft.
American Hockey League Stories from May 5, 2009
- Houston takes series lead with 3-1 victory over Milwaukee Tuesday night - Houston Aeros
- Pittsburgh Penguins Sign Forward Casey Pierro-Zabotel - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Community Foundations Bestows $7,500 in Grant Funding - Connecticut Whale
- Aeros host Milwaukee tonight in Game 3 at Toyota Center - Houston Aeros
- River Rats Extend Early Bird Offer - Albany River Rats
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- Oilers and Lightning to strike at MTS Centre in NHL Exhibition - Manitoba Moose
- Jamie Arniel Signed to ATO - Providence Bruins
- Admirals' Online Jersey Auction Returns - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.