Iron Retiring Numbers on Opening NightMarch 23, 2009 - arenafootball2 (af2) Milwaukee Mustangs
Iron Head Coach and Director of Football Operations Gary Compton, a former AFL standout who had his best seasons in Milwaukee as a valuable player with the Mustangs is having his number retired along with former teammates Todd Hammel and Kenny Stucker.
Gary Compton was elected to the East Texas State Football Hall of Fame in 2007. He spent seven seasons with the Milwaukee Mustangs (1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001). He spent 13 years in Arena Football. He earned an ArenaBowl Championship ring with the Tampa Bay Storm in 2003. He ﬁnished his playing career in 2004 with Philadelphia Soul. He was Head Coach and Director of Football Operations with the Bakersﬁeld Blitz in 2006 and 2007. He spent 2008 as Head Coach and Director Football Operations of the Daytona Beach Thunderbirds. Gary also caught the last pass ever thrown by Joe Montana in a 49er uniform during a preseason practice in San Francisco. Compton was signed as an undrafted free agent with San Francisco in 1991.
Todd Hammel, from Stephen F. Austin University played quarterback for the Mustangs from 1995 to 1999. he was a 12th round pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 1990 NFL Draft. In 1991 he played for the New York/New Jersey Nights of the World League of American Football. He played for seven arena teams after leaving Milwaukee including the Philadelphia Soul and Chicago Rush. At one point in the 1998 season, Hammel ranked number two in passing in AFL history with 14,387 yards while playing for Mustangs Coach Rick Frazier.
Former Mustangs kicker Kenny "Superfoot" Stucker, is currently a part-time special teams coach with the Iron. Stucker was the Arena Football League Kicker of the Year in 1998. Stucker was also a fan favorite. Stucker was inducted into the Ball State Athletics Hall of Fame in January 2009.
Kickoff is at 7:05 Friday at the Bradley Center vs. the Iowa Barnstormers. the special pregame ceremonies begin about 6:45. Information is available at mkeiron.com.
arenafootball2 Stories from March 23, 2009
- Dusters quarterback Basseuner conquers 72 oz. steak - Amarillo Venom
- Pinkney Wins Wolves Start at QB on Friday in Season Opener - Manchester Wolves
- Wolves Deaf Rookie Makes the Team - and a Statement - Manchester Wolves
- Boise Burn Announce Opening Day Roster - Boise Burn
- Blizzard Kickoff Home Opener Against Vipers - Green Bay Blizzard
- Firebirds and Flames To Greet Fans Weekly at The Sports Grill In East Greenbush - Albany Firebirds
- Stormers Finalize Roster for Season Opener - Iowa Barnstormers
- 2009 Southwest Division Preview - af2
- Sharks Game Notes - Corpus Christi Sharks
- Iron Retiring Numbers on Opening Night - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Iron Open af2 Regular Season at Home Friday - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Iron Announce Pregame Performers - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Iron Make Final Cuts - Milwaukee Mustangs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.