B-Mets Drop Second StraightApril 18, 2008 - Eastern League (EL) Binghamton Mets
Portland (11-3) took a 2-0 lead off Jake Ruckle in the first on back-to-back two-out singles by Andrew Pinckney and Mark Wagner. However, the B-Mets (8-7) got a run back in the bottom of the frame when Fernando Martinez led off with a double, moved to third on a groundout and scored on Daniel Murphy's sacrifice fly, cutting Portland's lead in half.
The Sea Dogs put the game away against Ruckle (1-1) in the fourth when Bell hit a two-out grand slam for a 6-1 Portland lead. Ruckle was pulled after four innings.
Binghamton got a run back off Richardson (3-0) in the fifth when Emmanuel Garcia singled, moved to third on Ambiorix Concepcion's base hit and scored on a Martinez sac fly. Iggy Suarez hit a two-run single in the sixth to make it 8-2 before Josh Petersen reached on an seventh-inning fielder's choice and later scored on Garcia's groundout. A Suarez fielder's choice in the ninth brought in Portland's final run.
Saturday, the B-Mets play the third game of their four-game series against the Portland Sea Dogs. Lefty Jonathon Niese (1-0, 0.57) will start for Binghamton against Justin Masterson (0-0, 1.29) of Portland. The first pitch is slated for 1:05 p.m. at NYSEG Stadium with the radio broadcast beginning at 12:50 on Newsradio 1290 WNBF.
Notes: the losing streak is Binghamton's first this season...dating back to 2006, Portland has won 14 of their last 21 at NYSEG Stadium...Ruckle had allowed two earned runs over his first two starts, lasting at least five innings in each...Garcia had two hits, ending an 0 for 17 skid...Mike Carp's second-inning single extended his hit streak to 11 games.
Eastern League Stories from April 18, 2008
- Baysox Walk Off After Wild Finish - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Tie, But Bowie Prevails in 10 - Akron Aeros
- B-Mets Drop Second Straight - Binghamton Mets
- Rock Cats fall to Thunder - New Britain Rock Cats
- Portland extends their winning streak to six! - Portland Sea Dogs
- Boone, Dorta enjoy huge nights, but Curve fall 13-4 to Erie - Altoona Curve
- Thunder defeat New Britain 8-4 behind Wright - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats in Harrisburg - 5-4 in 11 innings Friday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sens win in walk-off fashion - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder top Rock Cats 8-4 - New Britain Rock Cats
- SeaWolves Slam Curve 13-4 - Erie SeaWolves
- Defenders Win 1-0 - Connecticut Defenders
- Erie SeaWolves At Altoona Curve - Game Two Of Four - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Akron Aeros Game Notes - Akron Aeros
- MacDonald Promoted To Triple-A Syracuse/Vermilyea Returns To Fisher Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Hammers, Wrenches And Nick Saban Part Of Curve's Salute To Tools Night - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.