Giants Appoint Team CaptainsOctober 4, 2007 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Vancouver Giants
Machacek takes over the Captain's 'C' from forward Milan Lucic, who is starting his first season in the National Hockey League with the Boston Bruins. Should Lucic be returned to the Giants, he will take over the role of Team Captain.
Machacek is into his third campaign with the Giants. The native of Lethbridge, Alberta has collected 45 points in each of his previous two seasons with Vancouver. He was a third round pick of the Atlanta Thrashers in last summer's NHL Entry Draft.
"Spencer brings a strong character to our hockey club, both on and off the ice," says Giants Head Coach Don Hay. "He has been a huge part of our success the past few seasons and he is a deserving member of our organization to wear the 'C' on his jersey."
The Giants have also named their Assistant Captains for the remainder of the season. Defenceman Jonathon Blum and forward Garet Hunt will be full-time assistants. At home games, forward Michal Repik will have an 'A' on his jersey while on the road, defenceman Mike Berube will do the same.
The Giants return to the ice Friday October 5 when they open a four-game homestand against the Chilliwack Bruins. Game time at the Pacific Coliseum is 7:30pm PST.
For more information, check out www.vancouvergiants.com.
Western Hockey League Stories from October 4, 2007
- Fiala Traded to Saskatoon - Everett Silvertips
- Blades Acquire Fiala from Silvertips - Saskatoon Blades
- Doucet To Captain Rebels In October - Red Deer Rebels
- Warriors Re-assign Sutter - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Thunderbirds Reassign Bakken - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Dailey Recuperating After Hard Hit - Everett Silvertips
- Cornell's Recovery Continues - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Spokane Arena Will Be Brighter Than Ever - Spokane Chiefs
- Pats Support Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Regina Pats
- Silvertips Shutout Chiefs for First Win - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Appoint Team Captains - Vancouver Giants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.