Lizarraga Drives in Six, Loons Roll Past WhitecapsAugust 22, 2007 - Midwest League (MWL) - West Michigan Whitecaps
With the victory, the Loons are guaranteed a season series victory over West Michigan. No other team has won a season series against the Caps this year and Great Lakes has beaten the Whitecaps in eight of ten meetings.
Jonah Nickerson saw his streak of seven consecutive decisions with a win come to an end. The West Michigan right hander allowed six runs on eight hits in four innings of work.
It was Nickerson's first loss since June 11 against the Loons. He fell to 11-7.
Jordan Newton went 3-for-4 at the plate for the Whitecaps with a double, but never advanced beyond second base.
Brennan Boesch delivered an RBI double to put the Whitecaps on the board in the sixth. James Skelton added an RBI single in the ninth.
Zach Piccola gave up two runs (3 ER) in two innings of relief for West Michigan. Kelvin Cedano and Brett Jensen each threw scoreless innings for the Caps.
The Loons sent James Adkins to the mound as the starter. Adkins was the first round pick of the Dodgers this year and was limited to three innings with just one hit allowed. Time sexton threw four innings in relief with one run allowed to pick up the win.
One more at the Dow Diamond: The final game of the regular season for the Whitecaps in Midland will be Thursday night. LHP Duane Below (11-5, 3.28) will be on the mound for West Michigan against LHP Paul Coleman (2-4, 5.02) for the Loons. The Davenport University Career Startup Show begins at 6:55 p.m. on 1340 AM WBBL, The Whitecaps Radio Network and at wbbl.com.
Midwest League Stories from August 22, 2007
- SilverHawks Sink Lugnuts, 6-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Peoria Shuts Down Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Back in Wild Card Lead with Shutout Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Lizarraga Slams into Record Books - Great Lakes Loons
- Gonzalez Claims Record with 18th Career Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Rained Out in Beloit - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels, Bees Rained Out - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lizarraga Drives in Six, Loons Roll Past Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Swing, Lumberkings Rained Out - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Game Postponed Due to Rain - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Add LHP Hempy from Boise - Peoria Chiefs
- German Released - Great Lakes Loons
- Eighth-Rounder Added To Swing Roster - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wood Named Pitcher of the Week - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings fell Swing twice - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lansing and South Bend Split Double Dip - Lansing Lugnuts
- Big Innings Push Snappers Past Cougars - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.